Home Alone

Thalia was left alone at home since her mother and father had gone out for a cocktail party. She got bored, so she texted Ethan. They texted back and forth for quite some time, talking about school, Ethan's girlfriend and the holidays. 

After some time, Thalia checked the time, only to see that it was very late and that she should probably go to bed. Suddenly, she heard a blood-curdling scream from outside. She told Ethan, who told her it was probably just the neighbour's kids. 

Then two gunshots broke the silence. Thalia's pulse quickened and she gave Ethan the update. He advised her that if she felt threatened or scared, she should go to the safe room and lock it. There, she would be safe. 

She did as he said. She hurried to her parents' bedroom and removed the key from her mother's slipper, then rushed to the safe room and locked the door. She sank into a corner, clutching her phone. 

I'm in the safe room. she told Ethan. 

Okay good. Open up. he texted. 

Thalia refused. Ethan continued to try and persuade her to open the door. He then asked her some strange questions which made Thalia doubt that this was actually Ethan. 

You're not Ethan, are you? she asked. 

Why would you doubt your own brother? he texted. 

Ethan would never do this 

Open up. 

The next number Thalia dialled was 911. 

What made her certain, that the person texting her was not Ethan?  

creds zzz_lhnz