Beggar

I was waiting for my train to come and take me to my grandmother in another part of town. I sat on the metal benches and started to people-watch. A beggar was sitting a little while away from me, with torn clothes and a polystyrene cup which was waiting for coins to feed it.  He glanced up hopefully as a plump woman walked past. 

"Pig," he muttered. 

I gasped. How rude! He was asking for money from people, but he insulted them without regrets! The nerve! The woman seemed not to have noticed for she didn't stop. Now a man walked past, and the beggar resumed his hopeful expression. I braced myself for another insult. 

"Human," he muttered. 

That was odd. Well, it was true. The man was, afterall, human. This man stopped for a few seconds, but then thought nothing of it. He continued. A new lady appeared, this one short and stout. She walked past the man but stopped in front of him. She fumbled in her pockets but found no spare change. She shrugged apologetically. 

"Onion," the beggar muttered. 

She looked at him in a confused manner but continued to walk. I couldn't take the curiosity anymore. I walked towards the beggar, flipped three coins into his cup. 

"Bread," he said, without hesitating. 

"Excuse me, sir. I have been observing you for a while, and you mutter the strangest words when people pass you. If you don't mind me asking, what are you saying?" I asked, as politely as I could. 

"Glad you noticed, young sir. I have a gift, you see. I can determine what anyone has eaten last." he said, proudly. 

"Brilliant!" I said for I had eaten bread last, "thank you for elaborating." 

The beggar waved as I returned to my metal seat. But my heart jumped as I recalled the last few moments of events. 

What was so shocking? 

Creds: @RisingGreenGold