18: Into a Storm

Chara's phone died about two miles ago and now she's completely lost. My phone is still at her house since we left without very much warning. It started storming too. Rain, thunder, lightning and possibly soon, hail. The rain is beating down on the car making a lot of noise. We've been on a straight, abandoned road for what feels like forever now. I don't know where we are at all.

"We should really turn- AAHH!" I scream as lightning strikes right next to the car.

Chara turns the wheel and the car does a tailspin on the very slippery road. The car goes off road and lands on its side. I try keeping myself away from he broken window as much as I can.

"Are you ok?!" Chara yells over the loud wind and rain.

"Yeah! I'm fine!" I yell back.

She kicks her door open and sticks a hand out to me. Her eyes are screaming, Come-On! I grab her hand and climb out of the car.

The wind is pushing us around while the rain beats the shit out of us. My clothes are already sticking to me.

Chara grabs my wrist and runs down the road possibly trying to find someplace safe. I go with her since it's the only thing I can do.

"It's no use Chara!" I stop running. "We're getting nowhere!"

She grabs my hand again without responding.

*Time Later*

I'm soaked to the bone and I'm aching from running so much. We haven't found anything and we aren't going to find anything.

"Ok! You might be right!" Chara says and stops running.

We're both out of breath and scared half to death.

I don't say anything and just hug her.

"This is all my fault. I'm so sorry Frisk." She hold my hands in her's as we both fall to our knees. "Asriel's probably worried sick." She says in a much softer voice.

"Was that a pun?" I ask trying to lighten the mood.

She punches my shoulder lightly and her smile quickly fades. We don't say anything for a little.

"W-we're gonna die out here." Chara says.

I want to say something but I can't knowing that she might be right.

We sit in the middle of the road, not saying much. I stand up and put my hand out to Chara. "This storm is only gonna get worse. We should make some more ground."

We continue jogging, then walking, then sprinting as the storm gets worse and worse. It's hard to see from the rain and darkness and the roads are way to slippery to be running on.

We slow down to catch our breath.

"Why are we still doing this?" Chara asks.

I don't get a chance to say anything because lightning strikes in front of us sending us crashing to the ground. My ears are ringing and my vision is blurry. I can hear my heartbeat. Everything feels like it's in slow motion. I get my vision back and see Chara laying on the road, motionless. I rush over to her side. She gets on her hands and knees.

"Chara! Are you-"

She coughs up blood leaving me speechless. She's breathing very heavily as she rolls onto her back and stares at the sky.

"Chara, w-we can't stay here!" I try and drag her up but she won't move. I think she broke a rib.

Her breathing starts getting less and less until her eyes close. I try my headrest to keep her awake but it's almost like she doesn't even notice I'm here. She still has a pulse but it doesn't look like she's breathing that much.

I hold her hand as tears stream down my face.

Thunder gets louder as does my sobbing. There's no way we're making it out of this.

A faint blue light shines close by and Sans and Asriel appear out of thin air. Asriel picks Chara up without hesitation. "Hospital! Now!" He screams looking at Sans. Sans grabs my hand and teleports us to the hospital. My knees get weak and I grab onto Sans before I fall. Magic doesn't help with smacking your head on the pavement. Nurses take Chara down a long hallway and Asriel fallows. 

"Are you hurt?" Sans asks and looks me up and down.

"I'm fine." I say.

"How did you two get out that far? It's not even drizzling back at home."

"We got lost." I don't say much since it hurts to talk. My voice just booms through my head.

"What happened to the car?"

"Ran it off the road."

Asriel looks pissed. Probably at me but I wouldn't blame him. "What the fuck happened?" He asks.

"A storm. We lost the car." I explain.

"No, what happened to Chara?"

"Broke a rib, I think. I'm so sorry Azzy."

Asriel looks down.

"We should get back home." Sans suggests. "You comin' AZ?"

"...yeah."

We drop Asriel off and my head starts pounding again. Sans and I walk home after I refused to teleport or shortcut anywhere.

We get home and lay in bed. I can't fall asleep from pain and Sans probably still has a ton of questions and concerns.

"Was that you when I texted you?" He asks.

"Ugh...no. That was Chara. Sorry." I answer.

"Don't be sorry. Undyne found it hilarious."

"She saw that?! Ugh..."

Sans chuckles.

"Thanks, Sans." I say after a minute of silence.

"Thank Asriel. He got worried when you two didn't come home and came to see if you came here. I told him you were fine, maybe lost track of time from drinking too much. He's the one who wanted me to try and teleport to you guys."

"But without you, Chara would probably be dead and I'd still be there."

Sans puts his arm around me and kisses me before I fall asleep.