31: Intruder?

The morning slaps me in the face. It's very early and I can't fall back asleep. I just heard Ethan and Pap leave and Sans wake up.

Ethan and I are still staying at the skele-bros house and we still haven't found a permanent place to stay. It's been one of the most difficult things I have to do in my life. All I've been doing is searching my laptop nonstop. It's not very fun.

I turn on Sans' TV to give myself something to do. And of course, I'm on my laptop looking for a house.

I look up once the TV randomly switches channels and catches my attention.

"Breaking news!" The person on the screen says. "A prisoner by the name of Sean Caulfield has escaped the strongest prison in the country. On his way out he killed six policemen and two other prisoners. They flash his mug shot on the screen. "If you happen to see this man, call the police immediately! He is very dangerous. Back to our daily news."

Fuck fuck FUCK!

I stop breathing for a second and stare off into space. I can't wrap my mind around what I just heard.

The door opens suddenly.

I crash onto the floor and back up to the wall.

"Jeez Frisk! What's rattling your bones?" Sans asks kneeling down next to me.

I points the the TV then the remote. My hands are shaking violently.

Sans picks up the remote. "This?"

I take it and rewind the TV. I hug him and burry my face into his shoulder so I don't look at the TV. He watches in silence.

He quickly changes the channel after he's seen what he needs to see. He tosses the remote back on his bed and hugs me with his other arm.

"Sans, I-I..." my voice trails off as I think of the possibilities.

"He's not coming anywhere near you." His voice is general but firm. I know I can trust him on this one.

Light footsteps walk around downstairs.

Sans and I look to the door.

"Stay here." He carefully stands up and walks out of the bedroom.

"Wait!" I reach for him but he's already gone.

If that's Sean, Sans just got himself killed.

I get up and run out of the room, almost crashing into a wall and tripping down the stairs.

Sans throws the intruder against the wall.

I grab onto Sans' shoulders and he completely forgets about the person who might be here to kill us.

"What the fuck Sans." Ethan says and slides down the wall.

"Ethan?!" I rush over to his side.

"Sorry, thought you were someone else." Sans says and walks closer to us.

"Are you ok? Can you stand?" I ask completely ignoring Sans.

Ethan takes his hand from the back of his head. Blood stains his fingers. "There's that." He says. My spine hurts and," he looks to his ankle. It's off center. "That."

"I thought you were out today. Why are you here?"

"Just looking for my phone."

"We should get you to the hospital." I look to Sans. "Can you start the car?" I ask. Ethan has never teleported anywhere and it usually makes my head hurt so I don't want him to get any more hurt than he already is.

Sans nods and walks out of the house.

I help Ethan stand.

"What's his problem?" He asks.

"Sean uh...escaped."

"Fuckin' hell." Ethan mutters under his breath.

We get outside and I help Ethan into the backseat. If he's in pain, he's not showing it. He was always very strong so I'm not too worried about him.

The car ride is silent. Sans probably thinks I'm mad at him but I'm not.

Once Ethan is at the hospital and all taken care of, Sans and I drive back home. Another quiet ride.

"I know you were just trying to protect me. And Ethan's going to be fine. I'm not mad at you." I finally say.

"Yeah, but I messed him up pretty bad." Sans says.

"He's strong."

We pull into the driveway and see the door wide open.

"Did you close the door?" Sans asks.

Did I? My mind was racing and I was focused on helping Ethan. I think I did forget.

"I thought I did but I guess not." I answer.

We walk into the house. Everything looks normal.

"Be more careful next time, k?" Sans says.

"I definitely will."

"I'm gonna take a quick trip underground. Wanna come?"

"I'll stay here. Maybe clean up the kitchen a little bit."

"Sorry. That was my fault."

"It's fine. It gives me something to do."

"Alright well, I'll see you soon."

"Later!"

"Later babe." Sans says and teleports away.