27: Twin Talk

I stay underground talking to Sans for hours before I notice a small crack on Sans' left arm. It's not big but it looks painful. I hate that Sean did this to him.

I hold his hand and run my thumb across the crack. Sans flinches and pulls his hand away.

I look at him. I-Know-You-Don't-Want-To-Talk-About-This-But-I-Think-We-Should. My eyes say.

He looks down.

Should I ask or-

"Do you think Sean'll escape...like Ant did?" Sans asks cutting off my thought.

"I was just about to ask you the same thing. The cops said they'd watch him around the clock so I'm sure he's not coming back."

"I would've killed him if I was a cop."

"Sans, don't say that."

I can see the anger rising up inside him. He just needs to let it out. And he's probably going to do that in 3...2...1

"Frisk, his brother was a sick rapist that escaped jail just to fucking kill you! He almost killed both of us and the only way to truly get rid of him was to literally get rid of him. Then his little twin came along, almost killed me and tortured all of our friends. They both deserve to be in Hell, no scratch that, they deserve to be-"

"Sans!" I yell once I see his eye flame up.

The flame disappears and he looks down. "Sorry. Got a little heated there, didn't I?"

"It's fine, just calm down. Sean and Ant were awful, awful people but that doesn't mean they deserve to die."

Sans looks at me like I'm completely insane.

"Just think, who knows where their parents are if they had any and Ant died because he was just being stupid. Maybe Sean wanted get revenge or hell, maybe he wanted to take after his brother for some fucked up reason." I continue.

"What're you trying to say?"

"That they probably had horrible lives and did stupid things because of it. Put yourself in their shoes. You wouldn't be able to survive and hell, I can say I couldn't either."

Sans let's my words sink in. "Danm, I didn't know you knew how to curse."

I push him. "It's that seriously what you got from all that?!"

"No. And I get what you're saying, but talking won't always get you out of everything."

"Neither will death."

He slumps back onto the bed. "Shit, you're good."

I put my arm around Sans neck and hug him with the other. I nuzzle up closer to him as he puts his arm around my body.

My phone buzzes. "I'm back at 'home'." The text from Ethan reads. "Where are you?"

"Underground. Sans is here and he's still hurt. I'll tell you the details later. I might have to stay here for the night." I text back.

"That's cool. I'll be here."

I turn to Sans. "It's it cool if I stay here or will Gaster not want me here?"

Loud footsteps come from the stairs.

I guess that answers my question.

"Frisk, it's late." Gaster says. "Don't you have a brother to get back to?"

"It's the middle of the night." Sans says. "She can't walk down a mountain this time a night."

"It's fine Sans." I chime in.

"Is this settled then?" Gaster asks.

Sans opens his mouth to say something.

"Yeah." I stop him.

"No," Sans protests. "It's dangerous even climbing a mountain in the day. How can she go back to the surface when she can't see?"

"Well she can't stay here. I don't need her breaking anything." Gaster ends the conversation by walking away.

Sans sighs, crosses his arms and shakes his head. "I hate how he does this. He never did like company."

"It's ok. I'll stay at the castle for the night. It's closer than the surface, obviously, and you won't have to worry about me. " I say.

"Whatever works for you, it's fine by me."

I smile and stand up. "I'll see ya later then." I walk towards the stairs but stop and look back at Sans.

"Be safe." He says. "Call me if you need anything."

"You're the one who should be calling me, but I'll be safe."

We both smile and I walk out of the lab and into Hotlands.