59: Last Goodbye?

"Right now?" I hear Sans say when I wake up.

I sit up and rub my eyes.

"It's now or never." Undyne says.

Sans and I look at each other.

"Give us a few." Sans says.

"T-take all the t-time you n-need." Alphys says and leads Undyne upstairs.

'What's happening?' I sign.

"Alphys is gonna try and get some Determination out of you." Sans answers.

'Can you stay?'

"It wouldn't make a difference. You'll be...sleeping...I guess. She's gotta take your soul out, take some DT, then put it back. That's what's so risky about it. I don't want to scare you but I want you to know, your soul could break outside of your body or it could not go back in, if that makes sense."

I nod and look down. I look back up at Sans and can't help but cry. "I love you, Sans." I say and jump into his arms. "Thank you for everything you've done and helped me
with."

"This isn't our last goodbye, Frisk. You'll be fine. But, I love you too." I can tell he's trying to stay strong. I love his confidence.

I grab his shoulders and kiss him. "Now go before I attack you again."

He kisses me one last time. "Stay strong, don't be scared. I know this'll work."

I smile and watch as he walks upstairs.

Alphys comes down and explains what Sans already explained. I'm not listening. I'm to busy fighting back so many emotions that I forget to breathe at some points.

"Frisk?" Alphys says and waves a hand in front of my face.

"Huh? Sorry, I wasn't listening." I say completely forgetting how to sign.

"As l-long as you're h-holding your soul, it w-won't break s-so I need y-you to-"

I place my hand over my chest and the red glow shines through my hand. It's a lot brighter from the Determination Gaster gave me. Slowly, the light weight of my soul comes into my hand. It, very slowly, leaves my chest and I starts coughing. I'm still alive from just holding it. I hovers only a centimeter above my hand. It's not cracking. That's good.

Alphys places a heavy glass container in front of me. "I-I'll take g-good care of y-you, Frisk, I-I promise. Y-you'll be back t-to normal in n-no time."

I take one last look at my soul and pick up the heavy lid in my other hand. I place my soul in the container and slam the lid on before I basically die and fall back onto the bed.

Sans' POV
I get what I thought was the call from Undyne.

It wasn't.

Frisk is still...dead and her soul is still in a glass container. It's been fixed for six months but it won't transfer back into Frisk's body.

I make my way to their house.

"What do you want to do?" Undyne asks leading me to the basement where Alphys is checking up on Frisk. "We've tried everything and we can't get it back in. It's not like we can keep it out of the container for too long, it'll break then we won't be able to get her back at all."

"So you want to kill her?" I ask.

"It's been six fucking months of trying the same things over and over and over again. We can't just keep her like this forever."

"As long as you have her soul alive, she's not going anywhere. So you want to break her soul and let her actually die?"

"Sans, we've tried literally everything. Nothing is working. We warned you of this!"