Chapter 9: The Day Of Their One Month Anniversary

"Hey, everyone!" Jenna says as she and Lacey walk into 2J. Lacey immediately sits next to Logan on the couch, even though he's talking to Camille. Anyway, two weeks have passed, which means that James and Jenna have been dating for a month. She was hoping that they could celebrate, since Gustavo gave the guys a day off. She wants to find out what James wants to do. Personally, she was thinking that they could go to the beach, since it's the location of their very first day. Afterwards, she thought that they could go see a movie, if he wants to.

"Don't go to my and James's room yet." Kendall warns. "He'll talking to his mom again."

Carlos, Logan, Stephanie, Jo, and Camille look sympathetic when Kendall speaks. Jenna is concerned. She knows that James's family life is pretty tough. Caring but controlling mom and an absent father. He has never really told her the details about what happened between his parents, just that his dad didn't really care about him and his parents divorced when he was eleven.

"I won't go inside yet." She sighs before approaching the door. She presses her ear to the door, sort of feeling guilty about eavesdropping.

"Mom? Mom, I don't want to talk to him. Oh my God, don't say that. Mom, he has never cared about us. Before you divorced him, all he cared about was drinking and partying with his friends. When I wanted him to play with me, he would say that he was busy. He would give me whatever I wanted just so I would leave him alone. So I don't care if he wants me to call him because I'm not going to."

Jenna frowns with worry when she hears sniffling. Is he crying? What's wrong with her boyfriend? She hopes that she can find out. Although, she's aware that his sadness has something to do with his dad. Giving James whatever he wants just so he'll leave his dad alone? In Jenna's opinion, that's one of the most selfish things that she has ever heard of.

"Mom, I'm not ready to let him back into my life." James says, his voice cracking. "It's too hard."

Jenna wants to reach out to him, let him know that she's always here if he needs someone to talk to. He doesn't seem to be very good at talking about things, but he needs to know that she's here. It just makes her sad that he's had a hard time with his family. No one should have to grow up with a parent that doesn't care about them. James's dad is lucky to have a son like him. The man just doesn't realize it. James is such a special person, so how could anyone not see that and appreciate it? Jenna has only known him for five weeks and she already sees the good in him.

"Okay, I love you." James says softly. "Bye."

Jenna finally pushes the door open and finds James sitting on his bed. He looks so stressed out and all she wants to do is hug him, kiss him, and do anything else she can to comfort him.

"You okay?" She asks quietly, sitting next to him.

"Yeah." James sigh, kissing her cheek. "Happy one month anniversary."

"Happy anniversary." Jenna sighs, resting her head on his shoulder.

James sniffles once again, taking Jenna's hand in his. He needs to focus on himself and his girlfriend today. A while ago, his mom called him and said that his dad had called again, but he refuses to talk to the man. His dad causes him nothing but pain and stress. He needs to get his mind off of his dad before his headache gets any worse. The last thing he needs is too much stress.

"What do you wanna do?" He whispers.

"The beach?" Jenna suggests, kissing his cheek. "It would be nice since it's the place where we had our first date. Then I was thinking that we could see a movie, but I'll let you pick the movie."

"Sounds good to me." James grins as they leave the room.

They say goodbye to the guys and their girlfriends, then leave the apartment. With her arm wrapped around his waist, Jenna looks up at her tall boyfriend. The top of her head barely reaches his mid chest. They're pretty different as far as height goes. She likes it, though. Since James is taller than her, she feels extra safe with him. When she watches him at the gym the other day, she thought she was gonna die (She means that in a good way.) She was amazed at how strong he is, lifting those heavy weights.