Chapter 23: The Night James Got His Feelings Hurt

Carlos sighs as he walks through the lobby. He's been missing Stephanie lately. She's been gone for months, but he really hates that he can't see her anymore. They were together for several months and, truthfully, Carlos had feelings for her. If she had chosen to attend college in LA, they could have stayed together. But he knows that he should be supportive of her. He's not the brightest person in the world, but he has heard that NYU is a great school for people interested in film. This was a huge opportunity for her and Carlos wants her to do what makes her happy. It's just too bad that he's now the only single member of the band. He's had some girls flirt with him, but none of them are as good as Stephanie. She had both looks and personality, which are two things that Carlos likes in a girl. She should be pretty, but she also needs to have a good personality.

He's deep in thought when his eyes land on the front desk. is talking to a new guest. She's wearing black pants, a white shirt, and a black blazer. Blonde hair straightened, green eyes, cute smile...Carlos still thinks of Stephanie as the only girl he wants to have a serious relationship with, but a little flirting might help him get over the pain of losing her. He doesn't know who this girl is, but he feels a strong urge to go over to her and say "I'm Carlos Garcia! Would you like to hang out with me by the pool?"

He's about to do that. That is, until a man approaches the desk and wraps his arm around the girl's waist. The guy looks like he could be about twenty six years old. He's tall, has brown hair, and he has a little bit of scruff. He's wearing jeans and a white South Pole T shirt. Well, he has no chance of talking to the girl now, because she's obviously taken. She certainly confirms it when she kisses the man right on the lips. Yeah, she's got a boyfriend. Carlos listens in disappointment as hands them their key, saying his signature phrase "Have a Palm Woods day" before letting the young couple head to the elevator.

Once they're gone, Carlos approaches the desk. He may not have any chance with this girl, but he at least wants to know who she is. There's no reason that he can't ask about her. It's not like he's planning on asking her out or anything. She's new to the Palm Woods and Carlos is curious about her. Once again, he's aware that he cannot ask her out.

"Who's the new girl?" He asks.

"McKenna Leighton, 22 years old, from San Diego, recently snagged a guest spot on New Town High, and she's engaged to Greg Cooper. They're getting married toward the end of December." says boredly. "Don't ask her out because One:She's too old for you and Two:She's taken."

"Trust me." Carlos mutters as he walks away. "I don't plan on it."

Twenty two? She does not look twenty two. Carlos assumed that she was about eighteen or nineteen. But he's eighteen and some people think that he's fifteen, so it's possible to look a little younger than you actually are. McKenna is a little on the short side (About five foot five,) so it's hard to guess that she's actually in her twenties. But whatever. Carlos will just keep thinking about Stephanie and the fact that all of his friends are in happy, committed relationships. He's really depressed now, so he's just gonna lay down and mope around.

The parking garage entrance dings and Carlos turns to see who's showing up this time. It's James, who must barely be getting back from Santa Monica. This is exactly why Carlos feels down sometimes. Even James has a serious girlfriend and he has always been the player of the group! Yet sweet Carlos Garcia is all alone, with no one to go on romantic getaways with. Heck, Carlos won't be surprised if he sees an engagement ring on Jenna's finger in the next couple of years. He wants James to be happy, but he has always hoped that he would get married before James.

"Hey, how was your getaway with Jenna?" He asks, pretending to be interested.

"Fun." James smiles as they walk to the elevator. "We spent, like, three hours at the beach today. Man,I love that girl."