Chapter 24: The Day Jenna Took Care Of James

Jenna clutches James's hand as they walk out of Rocque Records, ignoring the shouts of the paparazzi. For the most part, Jenna has gotten use to the constant presence of the photographers, but that doesn't mean that she loves being followed around. It's just a good thing that James is so protective. If any of those photographers do anything to mess with her, James will have a lot to say about it. Lately, people have started talking less about how much of a player he is, and more about how defensive he gets with the paparazzi.

"James! Jenna! When are you gonna get married?" They ask. Both teens rolls their eyes behind their sunglasses. Yeah, like they're gonna get married at eighteen years old. It's not gonna happen yet. They want to wait until they're older. James already mentioned this fact to Teen People, but most of the local photogs don't pay attention very well. They just want to keep spreading rumors and making up a bunch of lies about the young couple. There are a bunch of articles on the internet saying that Jenna's pregnant, James is planning to propose to Jenna over the holidays, or that they've already gotten engaged. They've both used their Facebook and Scuttlebutter accounts to dismiss these rumors.

"Back off." Freight Train says gruffly, walking behind the five teens. One by one, the guys and Jenna get into the limo, while Freigt Train keeps the paparazzi from bothering them. He shuts the door for them and Jenna sighs in relief, resting her head on James's shoulder. Stupid paparazz with their stupid questions and stupid cameras. She's not trying to be rude, but she hates how they're always waiting for the boys at Rocque Records. And if Jenna's there, the questions are even worse. Some paparazzi can say some pretty inappropriate things, which does nothing but irritate James.

"Man, I don't know what is wrong with those guys." Logan says, looking out the window. By now, the paparazzi are starting to clear out, but a few stick around and try to snap picturues of the group through the limosine window. The driver is quick to drive away, leaving the paparazzi behind. Jenna sits with her back against the door and drapes her legs over James's lap. She knows that it isn't safe, but she doesn't think that one time will hurt. She loves when James rubs her legs and feet. He put some lotion on, so his hands are nice and soft.

"Because they're stupid." Carlos yawns.

"It sucks that they won't leave you guys alone." Jenna says, playing with James's hair.

"Got that right." Kendall says, looking out the window. Jenna nods and lets her hand touch James's cheek, frowning at the warmth. He has been unusually quiet today, but she has been assuming that he was just tired, but she's concerned that he's coming down with something. He even wore his glasses today, when he usually doesn't wear them in public. As for his wardrobe, he threw on a pair of old jeans and a navy blue hoodie. The poor guy doesn't look like he's feeling too great, so he should probably lay down when they get home.

"You don't feel good, do you?" She says, letting her thumb stroke his cheek. James doesn't say anything, instead choosing to shake his head. She touches his forehead, quietly gasping at the warmth. The poor guy really is sick! He's burning up. She hopes that has some medicine. If not, they might have to get some. She can't let him stay in a state of discomfort.

"You poor baby." She whispers, gently kissing his warm cheek. James sighs softly and rests his head on her shoulder, yawning and closing his eyes. Jenna gives the other guys a look, shrugging. She kisses the top of his head, letting his silky hair touch her face. She wraps an arm around his shoulders, giving him a gentle squeeze. He has never been sick since they started dating, so she's especially worried. She knows that it's probably nothing serious, but it still frightens her. He looks so pale and tired.

"My mom probably has some medicine." Kendall says, watching his best friend with concern.

James groans as he buries his face in Jenna's shoulder. He feels like going to sleep for the next week. His muscles hurt and he's shivering, which must be the sign of a fever. He hopes that he isn't coming down with the flu. He doesn't know how he managed to making it through today's recording session. It took them three tries to record their new song because James's voice kept cracking. Gustavo finally got irritated and made him go and get a drink of water. It didn't make his throat feel much better, but it did help him finish the song without any screw ups.