Chapter 40: The Day James Asked A Special Question

James stares at the rings at Kay Jewelers. After James thought about his and Jenna's relationship, he decided that he's ready to ask her the most important question that a guy will ever ask a girl. They're twenty years old, but they'll be twenty one this next year. It's not like they're eighteen or younger. They're no longer teenagers and they've been together for three years now and they know that they love each other and want to be together. As nervous as James is, he's about to buy Jenna an engagement ring. Yes, James Diamond is gonna ask Jenna Harper to marry him.

He's here with Camille. She's his closest girl friend and when he told her his plan, she was so excited. Since he's a guy and knows nothing about buying an engagement ring, Camille offered to help him out. She has been giving him advice about the type of ring that Jenna might like. And he thinks he may have found the perfect one. The ring is beautiful. It's a simple one carat, princess cut diamond on a white gold band. Gosh, James hates to get emotional in public, but he actually feels a bit tearful because he's so happy.

"Hey, did you find something?" Camille asks excitedly.

"That one." James says, pointing at the ring.

"Wow, Jenna will love that." Camille smiles.

"That's the one." James says softly. "But it's pretty expensive."

"James, there shouldn't be a price tag on the most important moment of your life." Camille says, linking her arm through his. "You're about to ask Jenna to spend the rest of her life with you. You want to make it special. I mean, don't buy her some cheap engagement ring just because you're afraid of spending too much money. That is a beautiful ring that I know Jenna will be proud to wear."

"Okay." James smiles.

"Um, sir, we need help over here!" Camille tells the salesman.

"How can I help you?" The man asks them.

"I want to get that ring." James tells him, pointing to the chosen ring.

"Oh, that's a very nice one." The man smiles. "Who's the lucky lady?"

"My girlfriend, Jenna." James tells him. "We've been together for three years."

"Congratulations." The man, whose nametag says Miles, says. "Do you know her size?"

"Six." James tells him.

"I'll get it for you right away." Miles tells him, taking the display ring out of the case.

James anxiously taps his fingers against the counter. He's already got the whole proposal planned out. This morning, he told Jenna to meet him at the park around five. They're gonna have a picnic by the lake, then he's gonna get down on one knee and propose to her. He just prays that she says yes. What if she says no? Then he'll have bought this ring for nothing. He'll have to return it and he'll look stupid.

"James, you okay?"Camille asks him.

"Yeah." James gulps.

"Here it is." Miles says, giving him the Kay Jewelers bag. James hands him the check and waits patiently, taking slow breaths to calm himself. He rarely gets nervous about anything, but he actually feels sick to his stomach right now. He just can't shake the fear of Jenna rejecting him. He just wants to marry her, but she may not be ready for that. Ugh, they should have talked about marriage more often.

"Have a nice day." Miles tells them.

"Thanks." Camille says before dragging James out of the store. "Okay, what is wrong with you?"

"What if she says no?" James says in a panicked voice.

"Why would she say no, James? She loves you."