Chapter 56: The Day Everything Changed

"She's gone." Dr Bennett says, struggling to keep her composure.

James clamps his hands over his ears as he falls to his knees, not wanting to hear what Dr Bennett is saying. He tries to breathe, but he can't. Dr Bennett did not just tell him that his wife is gone. No, Jenna's not dead. She can't be. An hour ago, they were talking about how excited that they are to meet their daughter. For nine months, they've been planning for Kenzie's arrival. They've been talking about raising her together and now Dr Bennett is saying that his wife is dead? No, James doesn't believe it. They're lying to him. They have to be lying to him.

"Sweetie?" One of the nurses says gently, looking at Jenna's hysterical husband. She kneels in front of James and grabs his shoulders, forcing him to look at her. He's sobbing uncontrollably, his face wet with tears. Her heart breaks for him and Jenna's loved ones. "Honey, you've gotta listen to me, okay? You've gotta calm down before you make yourself sick."

James shakes his head and buries his face in her shoulder, continuing to sob.

"James, I'm gonna tell you what happened, okay?" Dr Bennett says, kneeling next to them. She rubs James's back and watches with sadness as her patient's husband grieves for his now dead wife. She has had patients die before and it breaks her heart everytime. If she could bring Jenna back, she would, but that's not possible. As much as it kills her to say that, it's true.

"Jenna lost a lot of blood." She explains. "Unfortunately, a person can only lose so much. We wish we could save her, sweetie."

We wish we could save her. Yeah, they wish they could save, but they can't. His precious wife is gone and he's never gonna hold her or kiss her ever again. He doesn't even feel like life is worth living anymore. Why should he be alive if Jenna's not here with him? He can't possibly live without Jenna. A four year relationship has ended in death. James can't believe it. Maybe this is just a horrible dream. Maybe he'll wake up and find that Jenna is still alive.

"Do you want us to tell your friends and family?" Dr Bennett asks as she helps him up. James shakes his head, not saying a single word. "Okay."

"And we're getting your daughter cleaned up, okay?" The other nurse tells him. James nods and slowly walks out of the room. He sees all his loved ones sitting in the waiting room, whispering excitedly. That's why he hates to tell them. They were all excited about the baby, too. Sadly, while there is a baby, there's no Jenna. She has been ripped from their lives.

He buries his face in his hands and takes deep breath, slowly looking at them again. At first, they look excited, then they notice his expression. He sniffles as Kendall looks at him with worry. His friend walks over to him, grabbing his shoulders.

"Are you okay, buddy?" Kendall asks. When James collapses to the ground and starts sobbing, Kendall almost wants to start crying as well. Instead, he kneels in front of James and pulls him into a hug, letting James sob into his shoulder.

"Hey, what happened? James, what's wrong?" He whispers, rubbing James's back. "Is the baby okay?"

"Yeah." James sobs.

"Then what's wrong?" Kendall asks worriedly.

"It's J-J-Jenna!" James cries out. Kendall's shirt is soaked with tears, but James and Jenna are his only concern.

"What?" Kendall asks, starting to get very scared. His heart starts pounding and his grip around James tightens. What happened to Jenna? "James, you've gotta talk to me."

"She's dead!" James wails. Kendall gasp and everything seems to freeze. No. James has to be lying. This has gotta be some sick joke. Maybe James is just messing with him and is actually about to say that both mother and baby are fine. But why would James lie about something so serious? He wouldn't do that. This is how Kendall finally realizes the truth of the situation.