Chapter 30: The Night They Spent In Rio

Jenna watches the guys with pride, noticing how much the Brazilian fans love Big Time Rush. They left Europe for South America a few days ago and they've been having a great time. For the whole tour, when they aren't rehearsing or performing, they're sightseeing. They are in Rio tonight and Jenna is hoping that she and James can sneak off to the beach for a while. Their hotel and the beach are both in walking distance from the venue where they're performing. Jenna has never been outside the US before, so she's getting a kick out of seeing all these new places.

She smiles as the boys thank their audience before the stage goes dark and they run out off the stage. The guys are greeted with cheers backstage, with many complimenting their performance. James drags Jenna into a hug, kissing the top of her head. Jenna squeezes his waist and kisses his cheek, telling him how proud she is. These guys always put on a great show, so it's no wonder that they have so many fans. From what Jenna has heard, the band is starting to get more noticed in other countries. Jenna's not surprised at all.

"Great show, guys!" Kelly says, hugging each of them.

"Um, you did great tonight, dogs." Gustavo says, obviously not use to being nice. But Kelly told him to actually compliment the guys after each show. He has a tendency to be a bit critical. He's aware of that, but it's in his nature. He wants nothing less than the very best, but he knows that no one can be perfect all the time. He doesn't expect the guys to be totally perfect. He just wants to see that they are trying. He can tell that they put a lot of effort into their performances, so he has no reason to be disappointed.

"Hey, come with me." Jenna whispers to James, leading him to the dressing room. She smiles as he leans in for a kiss, eager to tell him about her plan. Just the two of them at the beach in Rio. Romantic, isn't it? They haven't really had any dates since the tour started, but they've been wanting to have a romantic night together for a while. Sitting up until midnight with popcorn and a movie may be fun, but it's nothing special. But beaches are always romantic, especially at night. Since the guys don't have a show tomorrow, it won't hurt to stay up late.

"So I was thinking that you and I could walk to the beach in a minute." She says, giving him a kiss.

"That sounds nice." James says, touching her cheek. "Just let me get changed out of these clothes."

He's wearing jeans and a plain black T shirt. Jenna thinks he looks hot, but he would probably like to change into some of his own clothes. So she nods and lets him grab some clothes from the closet before walking into the restroom. While Jenna waits, she takes a few moments to check out her appearance in the mirror. She pushes a few strands of hair from her face, then her eyes land on a familiar black comb. James's lucky comb. Jenna has always wondered what's so lucky about it. What does James find so special about this comb? There must be something about it. There has to be something significant about the thing.

She touches it with gentle fingers, staring intently. She'll ask him when he gets out of the restroom. She has been with him for a while now, yet there are some things that she is still trying to figure out. This lucky comb is one of those things. After all, James takes it everywhere he goes. And if it ever got broken, he would be really upset.

"Okay, I'm-" James says as he leaves the restroom, dressed in his hockey jersey and a pair of jeans. He stops when he sees Jenna looking at his lucky comb. He sighs softly as he hugs her waist from behind, kissing her cheek. He places another kiss on the side of her neck before his chin rests on her shoulder. He watches as Jenna's fingers touch the piece of plastic.

"Look, I know it seems like a simple piece of plastic, but it has meaning." He tells her. "The day my dad moved out, he gave me that comb."

"Oh." Jenna says carefully. Now it seems like a lot more than a piece of plastic. But she doesn't understand why he keeps it! After all, he won't even talk to his dad on the phone. Why would he want to keep the comb that his estranged father gave him? But maybe there's a part of him that still loves his dad, even though he doesn't want to admit it.