Exactly where I belong.

Meredith's POV:

I think this may be the softest bed I have ever laid on. It feels like I am laying on a huge puffy cloud in the sky. I can't help but giggle at how stupid that sounds. I turn my head to the side to look at Derek. The look he gives me makes my stomach twist in knots.

"Come lay with me" I smile stretching out my hand.

"Meredith.." he shakes his head.

"It wasn't a request, I want you to feel how soft this bed is" I smile knowing full well that is not why I want him to lay down with me.

He shakes his head, knowing that this is a terrible idea that can only lead to bad decision making. He lays down next to me keeping his eyes toward the ceiling. My hand searches for his and he makes no objections, intertwining our fingers together.

"Isn't this the softest bed you have ever felt?" I ask him turning my head to look at him.

"You know what, I think it might be" He smiles looking at me his teeth beaming.

"why did you invite me here?" I ask him nervously.

"Honest?" He questions raising an eyebrow at me.

"Honest, I want to know if this is just some transcontinental booty call" I chuckle.

He rolls over onto his side laughing quietly at my comment. I roll over as well so that we are facing each other.

"No, that's not why I asked you here, if I am honest, I couldn't imagine going this long without seeing you." He smiles sheepishly.

"Oh" I utter blushing deeply at his omission

We are now so close that it wouldn't take much effort for one of use to seal the gap between our lips. I know that this is wrong, and that when we get back to Seattle we will have to go back to pretending like what we feel doesn't exist, but right now none of that seems to matter.

"Derek" I breathe out as he reaches his hand out to stroke my face.

"Yes?" He smiles slightly his eyes dropping to gaze at my lips.

"I am going to kiss you now, and I am going to need you to let me" I inform him before gently moving my lips to meet his.

I touch my lips to his tentatively, unsure of what I am about to feel or what his reaction might be. It is like coming up for air, it is better than everything I expected it to be. His lips taste strongly of peppermint with slight undertones of coffee, and I long for more.

He must want more too because his arm instantly reaches around me his hand pressed firmly to my upper back bringing my body closer to his. His lips are warm, and so incredibly soft against mine. He kisses me tenderly, gently, like he is afraid of being too rough. 

"Derek" I quietly breath his name as he deepens the kiss.

It has been months since we last kiss, but laying here with his arms around mine and his lips pressed to mine feels like exactly where I belong.

Derek's POV:

 The way her lips caress my name is enough to drive me crazy, and I want her, more than I have ever wanted anything. Her lips form perfectly to mine and I long to feel the touch of her small hands. Almost as if she can read my mind her small hands come to rest gently on my chest as I run my hand from her upper back down to rest on her lower back.

She pulls away and I open my me eyes to meet hers, she licks her lips before gently biting down on her lower one. Her light green eyes have turned a darker shade of emerald and they hold my attention like chains. She breathes out softly, her breath sweet and warm tickles my face and I think I know exactly what she wants. I just need to be sure.

"Meredith" I break the silence and she softly smiles at me.

"Yes" she looks into my eyes as she gently rubs her hands across my chest.

"What do you want?" I ask her softly.

"You know exactly what I want, what I need" she whispers with a smirk.

"I need you to say it" I swallow hard already having my answer.

She gently pushes me down onto my back as she rolls with me one leg on either side of my waist. Her hand touch my chest feather light, and I can't help but imagine all of the things I want to do to her. Her hands travel to tangle in my hair as she leans down to kiss me again. My hands instinctively travel to her slim waist. She deepens the kiss her tongue searching for mine. She lets our a quiet moan as our tongues come in contact with each other and I get flash backs of the glorious sounds she made when we were together so many months ago.

"Meredith" I sigh breaking the kiss "what do you want?"

"Well right now" she smiles seductively as her hands move from my hair to the edge of her white longs sleeved shirt.

"Right now" she begins again as she slowly lifts her shirt up and over her head revealing her pale skin and dark colored bra. "Right now I am going to need you to take your shirt off"

She smiles at me as she flings her shirt across the room and I can't help but take in the unearthly beauty that is Meredith Grey. I quickly remove my shirt as well tossing it in the same direction as she tossed hers.

She gently lowers her body onto mine, chest to chest skin to skin and I cant help but shudder at the contact. My arms wrap around her waist, exploring the bare skin of her back as her lips find mine again. I can feel things starting to stir, starting to heat up when suddenly my phone begins ringing. She breaks the kiss looking at me startled.

"ignore it" I sigh bringing her lips back to mine.

"No, answer it, it could be important" she sighs rolling off of me.

I am disappointed by the sudden lack of contact but I get up grabbing my phone from off of the table and hitting answer. It is a call from the president of Columbia's science program, confirming our seat at Mondays event. I find myself casually walking to the window and looking out at the beautiful city of New York. I am so engrossed in the view that I don't hear her come up behind me.

I do however feel her cool hands slide around my waist, embracing me from behind. She presses her bare skin against mine and gently places a kiss in between my shoulder blades before laying her cheek against my back and just simply hugs me. I don't know what tomorrow will bring, or even what will happen when we get back home for that matter. But what I do know, is that right here, right now, is exactly where I belong.