I Have Been Waiting.

Derek's POV:

Derek's POV:

Watching my wife feed our daughter might be the most beautiful think I have ever seen. At first Meredith seemed to struggle trying to find a position comfortable for both her and the baby, but with the help of a kind nurse she got the hang of it quickly. Meredith sighs heavily relaxing back into me as she shuts her eyes. My legs have long since fallen asleep, but I would dare try to move, she looks so comfortable.

"I bet you are exhausted" I remark brushing my fingers through her slightly tangled blonde hair.

"I am exhausted, god I must look terrible" she chuckles her green eyes re-opening to meet mine.

"You have never looked more beautiful" I whisper, and as corny as it sounds I mean it.

She blushes her cheeks turning red as she ignores my comment, putting her focus back on our baby. I can already tell that Meredith is a natural. I have always wanted to have kids, and constantly berated the universe for being unable to give me a family. But sitting here now with my wife and our daughter, I am so glad that the universe waited. This is the family that I was meant to have.

"She is sure is hungry" Meredith laughs running her fingertip along our daughter's cheek.

"Laela must have inherited that from you" I joke only to get the death glare from my wife.

We both pause for a moment, this is the first time either of us has referred to our daughter as her intended name.

"Laela Amelia Grey-Shepherd" Meredith whispers her voice thick with emotion.

I didn't know that something as basic as a name could evoke such an emotional response, yet here we both are getting choked up. We sit there just basking in the glow of our happiness while our daughter gets her fill, eventually getting to sleepy to eat anymore and falling back asleep. I can already tell that she is going to be a good baby by how sleepy she is.

It isn't long before a nurse comes in, popping our perfect little bubble. She looks at us apologetically, explaining us that they must take Laela to go get measured and weighed. Meredith looks at me sadly, and I would give anything just to ask the nurse for a few for minutes, but I know how important this is so I offer my wife some reassurance and we watch as the nurse leaves the room with our daughter.

I watch as Meredith attempts to rebutton her gown, her small hands fumbling. I grip her hands in mine, stopping them from shaking and just simply holding her close to me. I can't imagine what this must feel like for her. To carry another person with you at all moments for nine months, and then to have them removed and taken to another room must feel like losing a piece of yourself. I gently remove my body from underneath hers, standing up and repositioning the pillows around her. I finish the buttons that she missed and pull the covers up her body before grabbing one of the chairs and moving to sit right by her side.

"It doesn't feel right, not having her here. I feel lost. Does that make me crazy?" she rambles looking at me for guidance, as if by some miracle, I might have all the answers.

"No Mer" I soothe stroking her cheek with my thumb, "It doesn't mean you're crazy, it means you're a mom" I smile.

"I'm a mom" she laughs, talking more to herself than to me. The look she gives me warm my heart, as if it hadn't hit her until this moment that she was actually officially a mom.

"You are" I laugh taking her hand in mine, "It is official, we are parents to the most beautiful and perfect little girl"

"She really does look just like you, it's kind of annoying" she teases causing both of us the laugh, the sound filling the room.

Our laughter stops the minute we hear the door open and the nurse come in with our now loudly crying baby. They now have Laela completely cleaned off, clothes and swaddled in a pink blanket. The nurse immediately goes to hand her to Meredith, but she simply shakes her head turning to look at me with a smile.

"Derek hasn't had a chance to hold her yet" she tells the nurse, and it is obvious that it pains her to give up and opportunity to hold her.

The nurse nods her head and moves to my side of the bed to hand me the baby. I didn't imagine myself being so nervous. I have a ton of nieces and nephews so it's not like I haven't held a baby before. I guess the fact that this is my baby, a perhaps the fact that she is crying is making me feel tense. I take her from the nurse cradling her close to me, and it is like everything falls into place.

"Hey Laela" I murmur bringing her forehead up to my lips, before beginning to gently rock her in my arms, "I have been waiting a long time to meet you."

My motions and my voice seem to soothe her as her crying dies down almost instantly. I didn't know it, but I have been waiting my entire life for this moment. Nothing has ever felt more important, not the day I got my doctorate, not even the day I met my wife. This is truly the happiest moment of my life. I feel myself getting emotional, as I take it all in.

The dark brown hair that dots her head is now hidden beneath the smallest purple hat I have ever seen, but her little eyes are open, and they are blue just like mine. Just like my dad's. She does in fact look like me, which is so odd seeing as how she is only a couple of hours old. However, I do see small pieces of her mother in her face, and those are my favorite parts of her.

"I love you" I speak softly to her as her eyes begin to close, her mouth stretching into a small 'O' as she falls asleep. Its must be so obvious to anyone watching that she already has me completely wrapped around her finger. I would do anything within my power to keep her safe, to make her happy.

I look up to find that Meredith has fallen asleep as well and I can't help but chuckle at the fact that her face has the same expression as Laela's. I relax into my chair, intent on enjoying this moment, with my family. Cause that's what we are now, officially, the three of us are the perfect little family, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Not the best or longest chapter, but I thought it was cute :)