This is perfect.

Derek's POV:

I tentatively open the door to the bathroom and peek out, curious as to what she is doing. I can't help but smiles as I see her all curled up in the hotel bed, her eyes are shut and her breathing is slow so I am assuming she is sleeping. I creep out of the bathroom and lay my clothes on top of my suitcase before going to look for an extra blanket in one of the cupboards, as much as I look I cannot find a single extra blanket.

I look at the clock 11:00 at night, I feel bad calling down so late, I glance at Meredith and see that there are indeed two blankets on the bed, the comforter and then a much smaller throw blanket. That blanket would be just fine if it wasn't currently being hogged by Meredith. I sigh walking nearer to the bed so I can ask for the blanket.

"Mer, wake up" I whisper gently pushing her damp hair out of her face.

"hmm, what" she opens her eyes smiling at me.

"I need this extra blanket" I inform her gently tugging the cream colored throw.

"Why?" she asked confused sitting up.

"I am sleeping one the couch" I tell her.

"No you are not, get in the bed" she laughs shaking her head.

"I can't" I sigh knowing full well that I would love nothing more than to get into bed with her.

"Why? cause it breaks the rules?" she laughs "Derek we just took a bath together" she remind me with a small smile.

"Speaking of that we need to have a serious conversation" I smile at her feeling my heart get heavy.

"Well.. get in the bed, and we can talk" she smiles sitting up and patting the space beside her.

I concede sliding in under the covers next to her. She looks so nervous, her eyes cast downwards as she plays with her fingers. I don't even know where to start. I still don't have a plan, and I still don't know how to feel. But I know exactly what I have to do.

"Meredith, please look at me" I say quietly as I reach out to brush her hair behind her ear.

"Derek" she looks up at me her eyes pleading.

"I don't know how to say this" I sigh as I gently cup her face.

"Just tell me, the suspense is driving me mad" she smiles but it doesn't quiet reach her eyes.

"I can't go back to how things were..." I sigh "Now that I have crossed the line, I can't go back, my heart wont let me"

"Derek" she smiles looking at me longingly.

"I tried, tried to fight the way I was feeling, but I just can't anymore" I continue reaching for her hand.

"What are you saying?" she looks at me her brow furrowed.

"I am saying that I want to be with you Meredith." I admit.

She just sits there for a minute trying to process what I have just said. Her swirling eyes lock with mine, yet they are impossible to read. For a moment I wonder if she even wants to be with me, then her lips are on mine.

They are soft and sweet, and they taste like toothpaste. This kiss feels so much different that the ones we shared earlier today. There is no rush, no hunger, no lust. She kisses me slowly, her tongue  gently running over my bottom lip before she pulls away to look at me.

"If we are going to really do this, if we are going to really be together, I want to take it slow" She smiles.

"So no more impromptu baths?" I chuckle at her.

"No more impromptu baths" she smiles, "its late lets get some sleep"

She turns off the bedside lamp and lays down wiggling to get comfortable, I don't know where I get the nerve but I find myself laying down right beside her pulling her close to me and wrapping my arms around her.

"Is this okay?" I ask her tentatively.

"It's more than okay" she laughs lightly as she snuggles closer to me, "this is perfect"

And she is right, out of all of the places I imagine myself, this was not one of them. And yet, here I am, in this place, her small body warmly nestled against mine. This is perfect.

A/N: Super short update I know, but it seemed like a good place to stop!