Chapter 2

It was time to start getting ready for Luke and Lorelai's wedding. Despite exchanging vows the night before, the happy couple planned to move on full steam ahead with the wedding and reception. Why shouldn't they? Rory thought. When did Mom ever do anything conventional?

Once home, Rory jumped in the shower. Standing under the hot spray, her thoughts drifted back to the earlier conversation with Lorelai. She was right, as she usually is. Logan had a right to know about the baby. Sooner was a better option because, now that she thought about it, she had no idea when the wedding was.

Looking down at her body, which was now tinged a bright pink, Rory touched her stomach. The life that was forming there was a miracle, no matter how any of this played out. This baby wasn't planned, but then again, neither was she. In some ways, it's like everything had come full circle.

*****

"Loin fruit! I need help with the dress!" Lorelai called down to Rory from her upstairs bedroom.

Moments later, feet padded up the steps and Rory emerged through the doors, dressed in her bathrobe. "What's the problem?" Rory asked, surveying the scene before her.

"I can't zip it up myself. I'm not Stretch Armstrong with those long, flexible arms that can do just about anything. Besides, I'm the bride. I shouldn't have to do such trivial things like dress myself."

Rory saw her mother had already reached diva mode. "Your wish is my command."

"That's right, peasant," Lorelai said with a twinkle in her eye as Rory zipped up the dress that had been purchased for the first wedding that Lorelai had planned when she and Luke were engaged years before.

"I think it is perfect that you never got rid of this dress, Mom. Just like Luke held onto the ring from before. Neither of you could let the other go."

"I couldn't bear to part with it. It was perfect when I saw it in on the mannequin in the bridal shop. I knew in my heart that Luke and I would end up together, just not like we planned before. Sheesh, why do you think we eloped last night? I had to make sure he didn't bolt on me again!"

Rory laughed, knowing that there was zero chance of that. Luke was hooked. There was no way he would willingly walk away this time.

A knock on the open bedroom door caused Lorelai and Rory to turn. They found Emily waiting to be invited in.

"Grandma!" Rory walked over to hug her grandmother.

"You really should have someone downstairs, helping direct guests. I stood outside for five minutes knocking but no one ever answered," Emily said in her typical condescending fashion when addressing Lorelai.

Lorelai ignored the last part of that comment, even though she wanted to mention that Emily was not asked to stop by the house prior to the ceremony. "Guests aren't coming here, Mom, so an attendant downstairs isn't necessary."

"You can't ever do things the proper way, can you?"

"Mom, I am forty-eight years old. Are you just now figuring out that I will never live by your social code?"

Emily rolled her eyes. "I suppose by now I should expect things like this from you." She turned to Rory. "You're still in your bathrobe! The wedding starts in an hour! You need to get moving or you'll end up walking down the aisle in that!"

Rory headed for the open door, with Emily on her heels, as she heard her mother mutter, "It's not much different from what she was wearing for the actual wedding last night."

Emily froze. "What did you say, Lorelai?" Rory stood still, wincing.

Lorelai feigned a smile. "You'll find out eventually so I may as well tell you that Luke and I eloped last night. I woke Rory and we headed to the town square to have a small wedding with Lane and Michel. It was all very impromptu because we wanted to be able to enjoy today without the nerves."

Emily blinked slowly as she drank in the information she was just provided. "Was this another attempt to keep me out of the most important moments in your life?"

Even though Emily did not weigh on the decision to elope last minute, Lorelai knew she had to tread lightly. She gingerly reached out for Emily's hand. "Absolutely not Mom. We just needed to be rid of the nerves so we could enjoy our special day. Keeping you out was never even considered. I'm sorry."

Shocking Lorelai and Rory, Emily smiled. "Well, I suppose this isn't the worst thing. I'll be honest; I was afraid you'd get cold feet and the wedding wouldn't happen so knowing that you and Luke are already married eliminates that possibility." Emily moved her hands up and placed them on either side of Lorelai's face. "Sometimes in life, spontaneity makes for wonderful moments that planning would never have given. Even though Luke isn't the husband your father and I would have chosen for you—no dig intended!—he has certainly made you happy. For that, I can hardly begrudge him. I only hope that the two of you have a marriage like Richard and I had."

In an attempt to keep from breaking down, Lorelai pulled away and eyed Emily intently. "Have you already hit the bottle today, Mom?"

"Lorelai!"

"What, Mom? Compliments from you are few and far between. I just wanted to know whether you'd remember saying this tomorrow."

"I am completely sober, thank you." A disgruntled look appeared on her face as she looked at her only child. "Perhaps I should go find Luke and suggest that I now believe he is too good for you."

"Ahh, there's the Emily that I know." Lorelai looked at Rory, gesturing toward her mother.

Trying to tune out both her mother and grandmother, Rory's eyes fixed on a photo that was sitting on the bedside table. Her gaze softened as she raised the frame and turned around, studying her grandfather's strong stature as he stood beside her beautiful grandmother at their vow renewal ten years ago. "He would have loved to have been here today." Rory looked up and saw tears moisten her mother's eyes, threatening to spill over at the even the slightest movement.

"Girls, you both know that Richard had a presence that could not be ignored." Emily once again reached out to caress Lorelai's cheek. "As cliché as it sounds, even though he won't be here physically, your father will be a guest in spirit."

That was all it took for the first tear to quietly escape over the edge and slide down Lorelai's cheek. "Mom, Dad is another reason I eloped. I couldn't shake the feeling that it was wrong, somehow, to not have him walk me down the aisle, quietly humming his favorite Chuck Berry tune." Before she could stop herself, she chuckled and said, "I only hope it would have been My Dingaling."

"Oh Lorelai," Emily smiled as her hand lay lightly on her chest. "Your father certainly would have hummed that very song, solely for your benefit—and ears, I hope."

In that moment, Rory moved closer and put her arm around the two women helped shape her life to this point. She looked down at her stomach, silently hoping that she could be half the example to her own child.