Chapter 43

Logan and Rory closed on the Twickham house. Excited, the pair went to a nice lunch afterward and discussed all they had planned for the home. Above all, Rory couldn't wait to start working on the baby's room. It was a ways off but she and Logan had decided to find out the sex of the baby so they could personalize the room. Yellows and greens would be nice but Rory didn't want a neutral nursery.

After Old Man Twickham died, the new owners of the house undertook a massive renovation. The historical charm was retained but updated fixtures were added with Taylor's approval. The kitchen was beautiful with solid maple cabinets in a calming shade of white, which were paired with speckled gray marble counters. Aside from tile in the kitchen and updated bathrooms, the original wood floors had been kept and refinished. Tall ceilings would easily accommodate a ten foot Christmas tree. Four large bedrooms could be found upstairs with the master having a luxurious bathroom attached.

Because of the updates, all Logan and Rory had to worry about were cosmetic changes, such as wall colors. Rory wanted the house to be full of color but not so much so that it was overwhelming. She was anxious to start furniture shopping so that everything could start coming together, though she and Logan had decided to wait to move in until all the painting and odds and ends were done. It made sense but Rory wanted to live there now.

"So when do you want to start shopping?" Rory questioned.

"I'm glad you asked, Ace. I made plans for us to spend next week in New York so we could spend as much time as needed picking out the furniture for our home. I have a professional painter lined up to start the day after tomorrow for all the rooms except the baby's room." Logan made an uneasy face. "So that means you'll need to get the colors picked out by tomorrow evening so I can get those to the painter."

Rory clapped her hands. "Logan, that's wonderful! Does the painter have paint chips that we can look through?"

Logan smiled, nodding his head. "They're in the car. You can start looking on the way back to Stars Hollow."

"Yay!" Rory was so enthused, she was afraid she'd burst.

*****

Their orders placed, Jess observed Natalie across the table of their favorite restaurant. He could tell she had something on her mind with the way she was nervously fidgeting in her seat. He sat quietly for several moments before breaking the silence.

"How is your day going?"

It was as if she didn't hear him. "Jess, there is something I need to tell you."

"Okay, I'm listening."

Natalie proceeded to tell Jess about Ryan. Halfway through the story, he reached for her hand, his thumb rubbing circles in an attempt to provide comfort.

Once she was done, Jess shook his head. "I'm sorry you went through that. I can attest that I am not married."

Natalie laughed. "Linda made sure of that before recommending you."

"I'm an open book. Ask me anything and I'll tell you."

Natalie tilted her head. "Is that a serious offer?"

Jess' eyebrows furrowed. "It is. Ask away."

"At dinner the other night, your demeanor changed when you learned Rory was pregnant with Logan's baby. You seemed upset. Why?"

"Logan may be a rich, handsome guy but I'm afraid that, deep down, he is nothing but a jerk. When the two were together in college, he cheated on Rory. I just don't want to see her hurt again. Last I knew, Logan was engaged to some French woman so I'm not sure what happened there."

Natalie understood now. "I wouldn't want that either. She is special to you so it's only logical that you're trying to look out for her."

Jess studied Natalie before realizing that she had been worried about the reason for the change in him at learning Rory's news. "You were afraid that I still had feelings for Rory. That's why you asked questions about her once we were back in the car."

Natalie looked at her hands. "Guilty."

"You'll never have to wonder about my intentions. Like I said, I'm an open book. I don't deceive or hide things. I am not trying to make Rory jealous nor do I want to be the father of her child." Jess gestured between Natalie and himself. "This thing we're doing. I just want you to know that I'm in. I am all in."

Natalie shyly smiled at Jess, who was gazing across the table at her.