Chapter 33

"You're what?" Emily asked through clenched teeth.

"I'm pregnant, Grandma. Logan and I are having a baby." Rory could tell her grandmother wasn't taking the news as well as she'd hoped.

Swiftly, Emily swung to look at Lorelai. "How could you let this happen? How could you let your daughter become pregnant by a man who, at the time, was engaged to another woman?"

Lorelai rocked backward on the sofa, as if suffering from a physical blow. "Whoa, how is this my fault? Rory is thirty-two years old, Mom. She doesn't have to ask my permission anymore."

"This is your fault because this is the example you set for her!" Emily yelled, pointing her finger at Lorelai.

Lorelai looked at Emily incredulously. "It's my fault that my thirty-two year daughter is pregnant out of wedlock because, thirty-three years ago, I didn't marry her father?"

Sensing the argument would only intensify if it wasn't stopped, Rory stood, holding her hands up. "Stop it! This baby is not going to be the cause of yet another fight between the two of you!" Rory closed the gap between herself and Emily. "I get that Logan was engaged to Odette when I got pregnant but you're not doing this. If you can't be supportive of me and the baby, then you won't have a place in our lives. It's your choice, Grandma."

For several long moments, Emily was speechless. As the seconds ticked by, Rory began to regret standing up to her grandmother. Would she choose to walk away, not getting a chance to know the life growing inside of her? She turned to look at the others in the room. Logan sat silently, fiddling with his watch. Luke looked about as uncomfortable as she'd ever seen him. And Lorelai...her eyes were wide and full of surprise. Hoping to jostle a reaction out of her mother, Lorelai shifted slightly. "Mom?"

Emily snapped out of her funk and looked at Rory. "I'm certainly not happy about this situation but I don't want to be shunned by you, Rory."

Rory gently moved closer, reaching her arms around Emily. "I didn't expect you to be thrilled but I want my child to know and love you like I know and love you."

Tears filled Emily's eyes. "Yes, I want that too."

Everyone collectively breathed a sigh of relief.

*****

After the sharing of the news turned into a confrontation of sorts, everyone moved into the dining room for a light lunch. Later, Emily, claiming a headache, went to lie down while the others chose to venture out and explore Nantucket. Luke drove slowly through the town while observing the views in front of them. While they were driving, Lorelai's phone rang.

After looking at the caller, she glanced at Luke. "It's the fertility clinic." Nerves gripped her, afraid at what the call may mean.

Luke, on the other hand, looked excited. "Answer it!"

Lorelai jostled the phone and slid the bar over on the touchscreen, answering the call. "Hello?"

"Lorelai, this is Dr. Williams. I am calling with the results of the testing. Do you have a few minutes to talk?"

Lorelai let out a deep breath she didn't realize she was holding. "Yes, I do."

"I am pleased to say that everything came back great. There isn't anything wrong with Luke's sperm and I don't see anything in your lab results or the physical assessment to deter me from recommending fertility drugs to try to achieve a pregnancy. Have you and Luke discussed whether you do want to move forward with going that route?"

Lorelai was making eye contact with Luke, who seemed to be bursting at the seams to know what the doctor was saying. "We haven't discussed it at length but if Luke's expression is any indication, I think we would like to try the fertility drugs." At that, Luke eagerly nodded his head, causing Lorelai to laugh lightly.

"Okay, great. I can get the one I generally start with called into a pharmacy for you. I'll do a three month supply. Do you want to use the one in Stars Hollow?"

Lorelai thought quickly. "Luke and I are actually in Nantucket for the week. Would it be possible to get them phoned in here this time?"

Dr. Williams was agreeable to that. "Sure. Just remind my staff to use your normal pharmacy in the event a refill is needed. Also, call my staff next week to schedule a follow-up visit for some time next month."

The doctor went over a few more pieces of information, such as instructing Lorelai to begin monitoring her ovulation and an example schedule for increasing the chances of conception. When Lorelai had no other questions to ask, the doctor wished her good luck and ended the call.

Leaning back, Lorelai relayed everything to Luke, who was thrilled that they'd been officially given the green light to try for a baby. He reached over and grabbed her hand, squeezing it slightly. The smile on his face was so bright, it rivaled the sun.

"So, we're stopping to get the pills and some ovulation kits before we head back to the house, right?" Luke asked, as if he made plans for the night.

"You better believe it! Judging by your enthusiasm, we may also want to buy ear plugs for everyone else!"