Chapter 75

Rolling over, Lorelai looked at the time. It was one in the morning. She felt like she had been lying in bed awake for days.

At twelve o'clock that afternoon, she and Luke were scheduled for an ultrasound. Not just any ultrasound...the ultrasound where they would find out the genders of their babies, God willing.

Sighing, Lorelai turned and faced Luke. She scooted over as far as her stomach would allow and laid her hand across Luke's.

"You awake too?" Luke whispered.

"I am. I just want to fast forward to the appointment. It's going to be so hard to concentrate today."

"Well, I'll be busy at the diner with the morning rush which will help. Go to the inn and spend the morning talking to Sookie in the kitchen."

"I would but she gets all worked up when I take up her space."

"Uh, she gets worked up when you move things off her counter to sit there while talking."

"Potato, potatoe."

Luke laughed. "Grab your phone and watch something on Netflix. It will help occupy your mind and make it so you can fall asleep."

Realizing that may be the only thing that helps, Lorelai took Luke's advice.

*****

After an unusually long morning, noon finally rolled around. Luke and Lorelai sat in the OB's waiting room, anxiously awaiting being called back.

"Lorelai Danes?"

Lorelai shot up from her seat, eager to make her way to an exam room. She looked up and immediately stopped. There was no nurse standing in an open door way, beckoning her. Instead, it was the receptionist who called for her.

Somewhat embarrassed, Lorelai brushed the hair from her face as she moved toward the check-in desk. "Yes?"

The receptionist smiled, likely aware of why Lorelai reacted as she did. "I am sorry to inform you that Dr. Whitley has been called to the hospital to consult with a patient who may be in pre-term labor. She doesn't anticipate the consult taking long but it will delay your appointment. Would you prefer to wait or do you wish to reschedule?"

Disappointed, Lorelai turned toward Luke and waved him up. After relaying the situation, Luke told Lorelai the decision was hers.

Weighing the pros and cons— any idea where she learned that?— Lorelai decided to wait. She desperately wanted to find out the sexes of the babies and waiting for the next available appointment would be torturous. She walked back to a chair and parked her behind in it, ready to stage a sit in if needed.

*****

Rory stood in Lora's bedroom, taking in the scene. She'd been in and out of there many times since its completion but every time felt like a breath of fresh air. Before they knew it, the baby would make her arrival and life as she knew it would be over.

On one hand, that thought was frightening. Not many people were daring and felt like jumping into the unknown. On the other hand, this pregnancy wasn't exactly planned so she really had little say in the occurrence of this life-changing event. Regardless, after spending months preparing and anticipating, Rory was ready to reach that finish line.

Moving deeper into the room, she grasped a onesie that was laid neatly on the top of the dresser. "World's Hottest Grandma", it read. Her mother had it specially made, with strict instructions that the baby was to be brought home in it. Rory was reluctant to do that because she and Logan had found the sweetest outfit on a recent trip to New York that she desperately wanted to be what Lora came home in. The outfit was a sleeveless, one-piece number in bright pink with white daisies and a yellow ribbon across the waist. Rory also happened to find a headband that was white with a perfectly matching daisy. White socks with bright pink ruffles completed the ensemble. After showing Lorelai— and much to her chagrin —she conceded that Rory's selection was the better choice.

"Where is she, Logan? Where is my Love?" Finn's voice carried up the stairs.

Rory heard Logan's light chuckle and response that she was upstairs.

Feet sounded on the carpeted stairs. Rory turned, ready to embrace the visitor.

Finn burst into the nursery, finding his way to Logan's other half. "Well, who would have thought that the ever beautiful Rory would become even more gorgeous this close to the end of her pregnancy?"

Laughing, Rory shook her head. "It's sweat, Finn. Nothing beautiful about it. What are you doing here?"

"If you must know, I wanted to swing by and bring a present before the shower." Finn held up his hand, which contained a small pink bag with white tissue paper poking out from the top.

"You didn't have to get Lora anything!"

"Yes, well, I figure this gift is also a gift for me in a way."

Curiosity getting the better of her, Rory reached out for the bag and pulled out a white t-shirt that would likely fit a toddler. A picture of Finn was prominently displayed, along with his phone number and a greeting to what Rory assumed would be single mothers.

Logan grinned, watching Rory to figure out her reaction. Once they made eye contact, Logan knew what was coming.

"Uh, Finn, while it was very sweet of you to want to get the baby something, I'm not sure this is practical."

"Oh, but it is darling. It saves me the hassle of trying to prey on the single mothers of Lora's friends."

Logan piped up. "Didn't we discuss the issues of you becoming a step-father to a child, Finn?"

"Yes, but that's why I got a bigger size. I figure when your little one fits in that, I may be ready for something more serious."

"More serious than a shot of tequila and a romp in your bed? How will you ever fend the women away?" Sarcasm oozed from Rory's voice.

Shaking her head, she realized this was a fight neither she nor Logan would win. This shirt was one that would likely find its way into the back of the closet, never to see light again.