Chapter 25

Odette flew to Paris to tell her parents the news of the broken engagement in person. It wouldn't be an easy conversation to have, especially since she planned to ask her father why he all but arranged a potential marriage for her. From what Logan said, it seemed like everyone was in on the gag except her.

When she really thought about it, Odette realized that her feelings for Logan weren't genuine. She wanted to love him, wanted to want him. And for quite a while, she fooled even herself. But once she let the knowledge of the affair settle over her, she knew deep down, it wasn't so much she was hurt but that she was upset at having wasted more than three years in a relationship that wasn't anything more than an elaborate set up.

It was somewhat freeing. She went into this with a sense of betrayal but as she came out the other side, she felt free of the weight of it all.

Over the last few days, Odette found herself thinking several times that she liked Rory. If they had met under different circumstances, she bet they would have become good friends. Funny, she almost felt more disappointed at the loss of a potential friendship with Rory than at losing Logan.

Odette thought it was safe to say that she would be just fine.

*****

Logan made plans to handle some work remotely during the morning hours, leaving Rory and Lorelai free to catch up. They decided to do some shopping and maybe see a movie if time allowed.

While walking around the mall, Lorelai motioned to a clothing store and they walked in. As she looked through the options, she turned to face Rory. "Have you thought about how and when you're going to tell your grandmother about the baby?"

"Well, I have given it a little thought but I was hoping to put it off for a bit until Logan and I get things figured out."

"Do you want to marry him?"

A smile spread across Rory's face. "Yes, I do. I love him."

Lorelai nodded, seeing the evidence written all over Rory's features. "Have the two of you talked about where you'll live?"

"Briefly. I don't know if it would possible for Logan to be transferred back here. He said he needed to check on some things and I was hoping that could be partly what he was doing today. He needs to tell Mitchum and Shira about the engagement and the baby."

"News like that should probably be given in person. And it might be best if you were there too. It would present a united front."

Rory considered what her mother said. She made a good point. "You're right. I'll suggest that to Logan."

"Also, it may be something that needs done today or tomorrow. I'm sure Odette is going to be letting her family know so the news will probably spread quickly."

Rory frowned. "Another thing we didn't think of. I'm calling Logan now." She moved away to a quieter area of the store while Lorelai continued to browse.

Several minutes later, Rory returned. "I'm going to London this afternoon. Logan lined up Colin's private jet for a departing flight around 3:00pm." She looked at her watch, reading that it was already 11:00am. "We need to finish up our shopping so I can head home to pack. I think we'll be staying overnight."

"Good thing Colin's jet was available because mine is in the shop." Lorelai may have been joking but she truly failed to understand how kids in Rory's generation could carry their entitled attitudes well into their thirties. Members of the Life and Death Brigade seemed to thrive on doing just that. She did have to admit, though, that Logan has settled down more than she ever thought would be possible.

Which was good considering he was having a baby with her daughter.