Chapter 58

Lorelai was grinning from ear to ear as she spied the pink cake. "Another Gilmore girl. It only seems right."

Lane was ecstatic. "I am jealous. You won't have to deal with smelly socks, bad aim, or having to hide food from all the boys in the house."

Rory laughed. "After our first ultrasound a couple months ago, I felt like I was carrying a girl. I guess a mother's intuition is correct."

Sookie chimed in. "So...what are you planning to name your little one? Jackson and I have a lot of left over names if you're interested."

Logan held up his hand. "Thanks but we have already decided that if we were having a girl, her name would be...." He trailed off as he looked at Rory. She took the cue to reveal the baby's name.

"Her nickname will be Lora, short for Lorelai. Lorelai Gail Huntzberger."

Lorelai's eyes shown, bright with tears. Emily gasped, her eyes also damp. It was a little known fact that Emily's middle name was Gail. The name choice combined names of two important women who helped shape Rory's life. It was only fitting that her own child becomes their namesake.

The guests spent another hour at the Gilmore-Huntzberger home, talking about various baby-related topics or commenting on the name.

At one point, Rory found her way to a relatively quiet spot in the open room, gazing out at the support system around her. This is why she wanted to settle in Stars Hollow. The small town feel was wonderful, yes, but it was the people who lived here that made the draw so strong.

Lora would get to experience the love and community she had been raised around. It just felt perfect.

*****

Paris was the last non-family member to linger. It became apparent that she wanted to talk to Rory privately so Rory excused herself and asked Paris to join her in the office.

Once alone, Paris told Rory that her divorce from Doyle had become final two days earlier. At one point, it was unclear to Rory whether Paris wanted to go through with the divorce but, clearly, its finalization meant she did.

"I'm sorry. I'm sure it's hard for you right now."

"It is but it isn't, if that makes any sense. I'd been carrying the weight of the failed marriage around with me so knowing it's done, I feel freer than I have in a long time."

"That's good, I guess."

"Doyle had the kids the night I got the call so I went to a bar around the corner from the walkup. You'll never guess who I ran into there."

"Who?"

"Jamie."

Rory's mouth dropped open. "Jamie? Like Jamie Jamie? Like the guy you dated our senior year of high school and broke up with on his birthday for Asher Fleming? That Jamie?"

Paris rolled her eyes. "Thanks for that. But yes, that Jamie."

"Wow! Was it awkward?"

"No. I was at the counter, ordering a drink, when I heard my name. I turned to see him standing behind me. He asked if I wanted to join him so I figured, why not. We talked for hours and ended up exchanging numbers. We've been texting back and forth since."

"So what does this mean?"

"I don't know. It could be the emotions of the divorce affecting my judgment but I enjoyed seeing and talking with him again. It made me remember a simpler time so I felt like I needed to jump on it."

"You didn't...jump on him, did you?"

"Rory, really? I just got divorced. I'm not running into someone else's bed."

"Well, you have been impulsive before."

Paris glared at Rory, frustrated with her friend's line of questing. "I'm a grown woman now, thank you. I can control myself. Besides, past performance isn't an indicator of future performance."

"Some would call that a sucker's maxim."

Both girls sighed. Paris glanced around, noticing the desk. "Hey, that's a beautiful desk. Where did you get it?"

Rory hesitated. "It was my grandfather's."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I'm honored to have it."

"It's nice that you have it though. Your grandfather was stand up man and would be happy knowing you now have it."

Rory forced a smile. "Thanks Paris. It feels like this is where it belongs."

They stood silently for several long moments.

"Don't jump into bed with Jamie, Paris. That's what sort of set you guys on the path to disaster last time."

"Like you're one to talk, Gilmore." Paris gestured to Rory's stomach.

Rory laughed. "It's good to see you're still the same Paris."