Chapter 100

Driving back from Woodbridge, Luke's eyes focused on the road but his mind was on his wife. It was crazy to think that she would likely be going into labor any time. He was still nervous about caring for the twins but he trusted that Lorelai would help him learn the ropes. Hopefully paternal instincts were a thing and kicked in too.

Something he was thankful for, though, was that Tom had finished the additions earlier in the week. After Lorelai's accident, Luke feared the babies would be born before their rooms had been completed. It was a joyous day when the last task was done and the workers had packed their tools and left. Lorelai was thrilled when Emily was able to secure the services of a top notch designer, Franck Egglehoffer. He normally worked on the west coast but was trying to expand his services nationwide for the right price. Emily ensured the "right price" was met and paid for him to decorate the twins' nursery and play room.

Smiling, Luke patted the front pocket of his usual flannel shirt to feel for his phone to check in with Lorelai. When he came up empty, he quickly glanced around the cab of his truck. His phone wasn't anywhere in sight. Judging by the area he was in, Luke guessed he had about 15 minutes until he was back at the diner. I'm sure everything's fine, he thought as he continued on his way.

*****

Shira stood at a ticket counter at Heathrow Airport, waiting to finish her purchase of a ticket to New York City. As much as she wasn't sure Logan and Rory wanted her to be a part of their lives, she had to see them in person in one last attempt to clear the air. If they told her to beg off, she would. But at least she would have tried.

It was funny when she thought about it. While her children were growing up, she felt like she couldn't be bothered with the children. That's why she and Mitchum had hired nannies. Now, though, she was desperate to win their affection.

"Ma'am?"

The voice pierced Shira's revere, causing her to jump as her attention snapped to the woman holding out her credit card.

"I'm sorry. I was off in another world."

The woman smiled. "No problem." The transaction was completed and Shira moved away from the counter with her rolling suitcase. She searched for where she would be boarding.

Two hours later, Shira was seated on the plane with a book on her lap. She had a feeling she wouldn't read a word but would be lost in her thoughts as she struggled to deal with the emotions of seeing Logan and Rory and meeting Lora.

*****

Emily had arrived at the hospital and got Lorelai checked in before a response from Luke came through. He informed Emily that he was on his way and would get there as quickly as he could. Relief flooded though her, knowing that Luke wasn't going to end up somehow missing the births of his children.

Lorelai moaned, causing Emily to look at her daughter. It was tough to see her in pain but, as odd as it sounded, it was also nice. Being present during the labor of the twins was starkly different from when Lorelai was in labor with Rory. There wasn't a note left or a bus taken. It was open and inviting, things Emily was glad to have evolved to with her only offspring.

"Want ice chips? Those helped occupy my mind while I was in labor with you."

Lorelai nodded. Emily stood and found her way to the nurse's station. "Lorelai Danes would like some ice chips. Do you have an ice machine or can you please let me know where to get some for her?"

The attending nurse obliged and quickly filled a cup with ice chips. "If she needs more, let me know."

Emily smiled graciously and offered her thanks as she turned to get back to Lorelai, who gratefully took the ice.

Forty minutes later, Luke came bursting into the room. "Did I miss it?" he asked, clearly out of breath.

Lorelai shook her head. "No but my labor is progressing much faster than Rory's. I'm already at eight centimeters. The doctor said she expects that I'll be pushing very soon."

Emily quietly stood, pointing to the vacated chair. "Luke, take this seat. I'll move to the waiting room to give you two privacy."

Luke and Lorelai both emphatically stopped Emily.

"Mom, I want you in here. Please, stay."

"Yes, Emily. We both want you to share this with us."

Tears welling in her eyes, Emily could only nod. Luke gestured to the chair, wanting her to remain seated beside her daughter.

A half hour later, Dr. Whitley came in. Seeing the pain etched on Lorelai's features, she asked the nurse to prepare the equipment because she believed it was time. Sure enough, the doctor confirmed that Lorelai had reached ten centimeters. She told Lorelai to now begin pushing with each contraction and urged that she fight through the exhaustion she was sure to feel since there were two babies to deliver.

Five contractions came and went with little headway. Right out of the gate, Lorelai was feeling discouraged. At this rate, she would be done for before the first baby was here.

"Come on, Lorelai. You have to work through the pain." Emily was holding her daughter's left hand, rubbing her arm and shoulder.

"I know, Mom, but nothing is happening. Why won't they come out?" Exasperated, Lorelai was struggling to find the strength to continue.

"Lorelai Victoria Gilmore! Danes! These babies aren't going to march out so you'll have to dig deep. Beginning now."

Another contraction overtook Lorelai. She followed her mother's demands and tapped into strength she didn't know she had. With that push, the first baby's head and shoulders became visible.

"Yes, Lorelai! That is wonderful!" Dr. Whitley cheered.

A brief pause came before it was time to push once more. Another strong push and Eli was here. The doctor reached for the baby and moved to place him on Lorelai's chest. "You have a moment until you'll need to push again."

Shaking her head, Lorelai gestured to Luke. "I want him to hold Eli first."

"Lor—"

"No arguments. Take your son, Luke." A tired smile stretched over Lorelai's face as she watched her husband take their son into his arms for the first time.

Emily dabbed at her eyes with one hand while placing the other on her daughter's shoulder.

Seconds later, Dr. Whitley announced it was time to resume pushing.

Luke looked like he was planning to pass the baby to a nurse to stand beside Lorelai during the second birth. Without thinking, Lorelai stopped him. "Enjoy him, Luke. I have Mom."

Smiling, Luke nodded. "No arguments, remember?" He still moved close to his wife, though the baby didn't leave his grasp.

The brief rest helped. Lorelai had no issues pushing when a contraction hit, resulting in Gabby's delivery coming much quicker than Eli's.

Dr. Whitley repeated her actions with Gabby, intending to give her to Lorelai. Again, Lorelai stopped her.

"I want my mom to hold Gabby first."

Emily smiled broadly while tears fell down her cheeks. "You don't have to do that, Lorelai. I'll hold them both soon enough."

Lorelai waved her hand. "I got to hold Rory first when she was born. Please, Mom. Gabby needs her Grandma now."

Emily leaned down and kissed Lorelai's forehead before taking claim to her newest granddaughter.

While she is who struggled to deliver the twins, Lorelai looked at the babies in the arms of two people have come to mean so much to her. In that moment, she felt the hair on her arms stand up and immediately knew that her father was sharing this moment too.