Chapter 14

"Logan," Odette repeated after he stood frozen in place for every bit of a minute. His body was rigid, his eyes wide. Just like the child who was caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Finally being able to form coherent thoughts, Logan blinked and greeted his fiancée. "What are you doing here, Odette?" His words came out more defensive than he would have liked.

"I could ask you the very same thing." She dared not to elaborate just yet, holding back the winning hand while keeping her poker face in check.

Not sure this was the time or place for a talk, Logan knew he needed to choose his words carefully. "I told you, I had something come up."

No emotion registered on Odette's face. "Something...or someone?"

For the second time, Logan was frozen. How did she know he was here? Did she know who he had come to see? He gulped as the next thought passed through his head. Was it possible she knew about the baby?

Realizing that Logan was too stunned to have any sort of conversation on the street, Odette looked around for somewhere the two of them could talk in private. "Is someone expecting you to rejoin her or can we go talk?"

Breaking free from his reprieve, Logan turned and looked back toward the diner. "Let me just send a quick text." He opened his messaging app and found Rory's name. Odette is here. I think she knows. We are going somewhere to talk. Will get a hold of you as soon as I can.

*****

Luke brought Lorelai and Rory's burgers, along with another order of cheese fries for the two to share. Rory wondered what was keeping Logan and turned toward the window to spy him talking to a beautiful blonde. Something in her immediately knew that it was Odette. Within seconds, her phone rang as it received Logan's text.

Rory put down the fry she had picked up, turning to her mother. She held up her phone, causing a frown to pull at Lorelai's lips. "I'm sorry sweetie. Do you think this will change his mind?"

Without hesitation, Rory shook her head. "I really don't but I do think her sudden presence cannot be a good sign."

Lorelai leaned into Rory. "Odette is like the girl in the red coat in Kirk's second film. She's the omen."

"Does that make me the pig?"

"Well, you are the pregnant one." Lorelai smiled as she popped a fry into her mouth.