Chapter 53

No one dared move a muscle. Tears cascaded down Rory's cheeks but it was unclear what her response would be.

Logan feared another heartbreak was eminent, one that wouldn't only affect Rory and himself. This time, their child was involved.

It was as if Rory didn't hear him. In his mind, he was transported back to that moment at her graduation party, when her eyes screamed that she was embarrassed for being put on the spot. Had he just done that all over again?

Suddenly, Rory moved, expelling the breath she had been holding. She moved her hand to cover her mouth.

Logan's eyes searched Rory's, hoping to find some semblance of love for him.

That's where he found the answer to his question.

A smile creeped onto her lips as she lowered her hand. "Yes. Absolutely, yes. I had no idea you planned to ask me today but this," she gestured to the scene around her, "was the perfect setting."

Logan jumped up, reaching for Rory's left hand. He gingerly placed the ring on her finger, tears clouding his line of sight. He looked at Rory— his fiancée— and moved in to seal the proposal with a kiss.

Emily, Lorelai, and Luke jumped up, cheering for Logan and Rory and their promising future.

*****

Emily pulled Rory into her arms, overjoyed that she and Logan had finally found their way back to one another. All those years ago while the two were at Yale, it was apparent they were meant to be together. When they broke up, Emily was heartsick that Rory would settle for someone else, especially once Logan's engagement to Odette had been announced.

Emily moved back, grabbing Rory's hand to examine the ring she'd been given. It was gorgeous. White gold with a large, princess cut diamond in the center, it was surrounded by smaller princess cut diamonds, with round diamonds cascading down the sides. The front and back of the ring contained intertwining pieces that created a heart where additional diamonds were housed. As she spun Rory's finger, sparkles began dancing around the room as light hit different angles. Simply put, the ring was stunning.

"This ring is marvelous. I always said that a woman needs a man who can pick out her jewelry. Richard had a knack for it. It appears Logan does too."

"Thank you, Grandma." Rory admitted Emily was right; the ring was breathtakingly beautiful.

"It couldn't have happened to a better couple," Emily whispered into her granddaughter's ear. She laid a light kiss on Rory's cheek before hugging her once more.

"I just wish Grandpa could have been here for this. He always thought so highly of Logan."

It was bittersweet, yes. But Emily knew Richard was looking down, proud that his hopes and dreams for Rory were coming true.

"He is here, just like I said this morning. Even if you can't see him, he is here."

At that moment, even though no one was near it, a musical figurine on the mantle began lightly playing "Joy to the World". Emily laughed out loud.

"Merry Christmas, Richard!"

Everyone gathered around, raising their voices to sing the well-known song, even after the figurine ended its tune.

*****

Breaking apart, clean up began once more.

Luke had to play this just right. Like Logan, he didn't want Lorelai to have any indication that he had something special, something unexpected for her that he wanted the others to be a part of.

Unbeknownst to anyone else, there was one more package that had yet to be opened. Luke had tucked it underneath the tree skirt, where you'd have to really notice something off to know anything was there. Luke intentionally shoved a piece of wrapping paper under it which should jostle the small box enough to pull it into sight.

Luke watched as Lorelai moved closer to the tree. He felt his heart rate increase, knowing she could find it at any second. In the commotion, it could easily get lost. He hoped that wasn't the case. It didn't matter to him who found it because Lorelai's name was written on the top.

At that very moment, Lorelai gripped the paper Luke planted and pulled it. The small box came out.

"Hey, we forgot a present." She moved it toward her face to read the name sprawled on it. "Oh, it's for me, from Luke." Surprise was evident in her voice.

Everyone stopped what they were doing, turning to give Lorelai their attention.

She quietly tore the paper off the box and opened the lid. She pulled the small item out, looking at Luke, unsure why he had given this to her.

Then she understood.

As Rory's did moments before, Lorelai's hand moved to her mouth and she began to cry.

Luke only smiled and nodded, as he was struggling to keep his emotions in check as well.

The pacifier Luke wrapped could only mean one thing: Lorelai was pregnant.