Chapter 28

As Mitchum and Shira neared the table, surprise colored their features when they saw Rory sitting at the table with Logan.

Once close enough to permit conversation, Shira smiled as Logan and Rory stood to greet them. "Rory, what a surprise. It's been ages since I've seen you."

"Yes, Rory, hello. How are you?" Mitchum at least acted less fake than Shira had.

"I'm fine, thanks." Rory reclaimed her seat, shifting uncomfortably.

The next few minutes were a bit crazy with the waiter taking drink orders and informing as to the specials. He returned a short time later with beverages and took the dinner orders. Once the waiter was out of earshot, Shira eyed Rory then turned to face Logan. "So where is Odette this evening?"

Taking a deep breath, Logan launched into the news. "There is no need to sugar coat this. Mom, Dad, Odette and I are no longer together."

"Logan!" Shira barked then thought better of it as she looked around at other diners who had turned to see what caused the interruption. "Logan, you must be mistaken. The wedding is in about six months. A lot has been planned and paid for—"

"Mom, stop. Nothing you say is going to undo what has already been done. Odette and I broke up. End of story."

Mitchum had been silent up to that point. Rory observed him squeeze the bridge of his nose, as if doing so would prevent a tirade from spilling out of this mouth. "Logan, did you think this through?"

"I did. I had to—"

"Why in the world did you have to break up with Odette?" Shira asked, the volume of her voice rising with each word.

"Rory's pregnant," Logan simply said, hoping to make his parents understand the need to be with Rory, with his child.

Mitchum looked toward Rory, unsure of whether to believe this. "Is this true Rory?"

Rory nodded. "I'm seven weeks. Due June 18th."

Shira glared at her son, anger seeping from every pore. "And you're sure the baby is yours? Last I knew, you and Rory hadn't been together in years."

Mitchum cleared his throat. "When I saw you together at the restaurant a couple of months ago, it wasn't just that you begged Rory to join you for lunch, was it? You two had been secretly seeing one another?"

Logan spoke up. "Yes. Rory and I ran into each other in Hamburg early last year. We went to dinner and things just happened from there. We had been seeing each other since. Any time Rory was in London, she would stay with me. Things between us got complicated once Odette insisted on moving in so Rory ended it. Finn, Colin, Robert, and I flew to Stars Hollow to take Rory for one last hurrah. It was on that trip that our child was conceived."

"And you're sure it's yours?" Shira hissed once more.

"Yes, the baby is Logan's. I am entirely sure of it." Rory felt like Shira was reducing their child down to a nothing, just as she earlier feared.

"And I don't doubt it at all," Logan stated in a firm voice, intending to shut down any further discussion.

Shira blew out a held breath, clearly upset by what she was hearing. "A DNA test—"

"— is not necessary, Shira," Mitchum said, shooting his wife a look that demanded she stop speaking.

Rory looked between Logan's parents. "I know this wasn't your dynastic plan for the heir of your empire and I'm sorry if you're disappointed in how things are turning out. But I will not allow my child to be raised around people who feel his or her existence is a mistake. My father's parents made no effort to get to know me and I felt that rejection every day. Our child may not have been planned but that in no way entails that he or she is unwanted."

Mitchum smiled at Rory. "I never let on that I knew how Logan still felt about you. I tried to help him move on after you turned his proposal down. It seems, however, that the two you were always meant to be. No matter how hard Logan tried to pretend he was in love with Odette, I never saw the same look in his eyes that I see now. You're who he loves Rory. I never should have tried to interfere by matching him with Odette. I just didn't know how else to help. Regardless of the wedding plans that have been made, I knew that I'd have to object before I could let my son make the mistake of marrying someone he didn't love. I just wish that someone had done that for me."

Mitchum's words took a moment to register with Logan, Rory, and Shira. Once they did, though, all eyes stayed on Mitchum as he made his final statement of the evening, one that was directed at his wife.

"Shira, I have filed for divorce."