Chapter 35

Once they returned home, Lorelai went into guest room of her mother's house and sat on the bed, looking at the prescription bottle in her hand. She was excited that these tiny pills could become magic for her, making one of her wildest dreams come true. Watching Rory grow was rewarding but, in many ways, she was still growing then too.

Luke came into the room and took a seat beside her. "You excited to finally have those in hand?"

"Yes, I am. I'm nervous though. What if this doesn't work?" Lorelai's voice was quiet.

"Well, then we try something else. If we are meant to have another child, somehow, someway it will happen."

Lorelai leaned her head onto her husband's shoulder. "That's what I'm afraid of. What if we aren't meant to do this?"

"Don't think like that. Let's cross that bridge if and when we come to it. Are you hoping to start taking the pills now?"

Lorelai looked at the bottle once more then shifted her eyes to Luke. "Yes, I am."

Luke smiled. "I'll get you a glass of water."

*****

At dinner, everyone kept the conversation light. Rory kept watching her mother, who seemed to be occupied with her thoughts. Lorelai made comments throughout the meal but they weren't her usual quippy remarks that made others laugh.

As they began retiring to the parlor, Rory pulled Lorelai aside. "Everything okay? Seems like you're a million miles from here."

Lorelai glanced in Luke's direction. "I'm fine."

Rory leaned back slightly. "No you're not. What's up? Want to go talk?"

"Give me a minute." Lorelai moved to Luke and whispered in his ear. He smiled and nodded his head, then gave his wife a light kiss.

Lorelai came back to Rory, gesturing to head to the neighboring den.

Once seated on the oversize sofa, Lorelai brought Rory up to speed on her and Luke's decision to try for a baby and the fact that she had taken her first pill earlier.

Rory was beaming. "Mom, that's awesome! Could you imagine if we were pregnant together?" She leaned offer her mother a hug.

Lorelai laughed. "I didn't even think of that, kid!"

"It would be great to have someone to share the experience with. I'm nervous about everything at this point."

"That's to be expected with your first. Or second, in my case. I mean, it has been roughly thirty-three years since I've been pregnant."

The two chatted back and forth about pregnancy and other topics, when Lorelai stretched her hand to touch Rory's arm. "Have you and Logan talked about where you'll be living? I've been wanting to ask but I don't want to seem like I'm pushing. For the record, I get veto power if I don't like it."

Rory chuckled. "Actually, we had a talk about this very subject a little while ago. Logan found a charming house that he has already made an offer on. He even got Luke's approval."

Confusion filled Lorelai's face. "Why would Logan want Luke's approval?"

Rory's smile brightened. "Because it's the Twickham house."

"No way! You'll be living in Stars Hollow? With Logan? And my grandchild?"

"Want to exercise that veto power?" Rory asked.

"Not one bit. I would have vetoed anywhere that wasn't Stars Hollow."

*****

Logan gestured to Lorelai and Rory, who were heading to the den. "Where are they going?"

Luke turned to make sure he was alone with Logan before answering. "Lorelai wanted to tell Rory privately that she and I are trying to have a baby."

"Wow, that's wonderful! I bet Rory would love to be pregnant with Lorelai."

Luke's eyes grew large. "That never even occurred to me. I bet Lorelai would love that too." Luke settled down into an armed chair. "Do you think Rory will tell Lorelai about the Twickham house?"

Logan couldn't help but laughing. "I'm sure she will. Rory looked like she was going to burst during dinner so I doubt it will take long to spill those beans."

"So when do you plan to propose?"

Logan's smile reached his eyes. "Very soon, my man. Very soon."

Just then, Luke's phone rang. He saw that it was Jess calling so he excused himself and went into the empty dining room.

Ten minutes later, Luke reentered the parlor to find Lorelai and Rory had joined Logan. Lorelai looked up. "You okay?"

Luke's surprise must have been evident on his face. "Yes, I am. That was Jess on the phone. He called to tell me he is engaged."

Rory, too, was surprised. "He's engaged? I didn't even know he was seeing anyone."

Luke shrugged his shoulders. "Apparently, he started seeing a girl named Natalie about a week after our wedding."

"What? That means he's been dating her maybe two weeks!" Lorelai chimed in.

"I know but he sounds very happy. He said he'd like to bring her to town to introduce us."

"When?" Logan asked.

"Next week sometime. He said maybe toward the end of the week so they can make a long weekend of it."

Logan looked at Rory. "We can make sure to be back from London so that you can meet her if you'd like. I know you still care for Jess."

Rory smiled. "You're a wonderful man, Logan Huntzberger!"

"Hey, I have to keep my pregnant girlfriend happy!" Logan smiled, pulling Rory closer and kissed her temple.

Luke laughed. "Smart man!"