Chapter 57

Jess and Natalie had been doing a lot of talking about a wedding date. With each passing day, Natalie said it became more and more clear that she didn't want a big wedding but instead wanted to be married by a judge.

It took a little convincing for Jess to realize Natalie wasn't settling. Once she did, though, he relented and told her if that's what she wanted, he would see that she got her wish.

Jess and Natalie planned to get married at the courthouse by a judge on Valentine's Day. It may not be original but it seemed perfect that they would solidify their union on a day celebrated by love.

Unsure of how many people to invite, they settled on Brian and Linda, as they were the two who pushed Jess and Natalie to go on the blind date, and immediate family of Natalie's. Jess just hung up with his mother and dialed Luke's Diner.

"Luke's."

"Hey, it's Jess. Got a minute?"

"I do. What's up?"

"Natalie and I are getting married on February 14th at our local courthouse. I wanted to let you know in case you'd like to witness Natalie making an honest man out of me."

"Wow! Jess, that's great. I wouldn't miss it. I'll bring Lorelai, if that's okay."

"I assumed you would. I know you're not a fan of New York City so you'd probably want someone to complain to while you're driving to and from here."

Luke laughed. "What about Rory? I know you weren't happy to learn she was back with Logan and having a baby."

"I will always love Rory as a friend. If she'd like to come, I'm sure Natalie wouldn't mind."

"What about you? Would you mind?"

Jess was silent for a moment. "I wouldn't mind for Rory to be there for me but she'd probably bring Logan."

"Logan has changed since that arrogant jerk you met years ago. I know that the relationship he and Rory had behind his fiancée's back doesn't necessarily attest to that but he really is a different guy now. He loves Rory and wants to do right by her and their child."

"Yeah, all right."

"Besides, Rory is sort of your cousin now anyway."

Jess was silent again. "Yep, well, if I wasn't over her already, that would have done the trick."

Luke chuckled. "Happy to help. See you in a couple weeks. Text me the time and address and we'll see you there."

*****

Lorelai stood in Rory's kitchen, observing as those who love her daughter milled around. Feasting on a delicious dinner of risotto, everyone chatted while anxiously awaiting the cutting of the cake. It was as if each person knew not to linger but to eat as quickly as Miss Manners would allow so that the unknown would become known.

Once the last guest finished, all eyes turned to Rory. She looked around and laughed. "Okay, I'm anxious too but we probably should let dinner settle before we cut the cake."

Logan chimed in. "Really, Ace?"

Sort of liking having this kind of control over something so important, Rory hitched up her chin. "Yes, really."

It was Lorelai's turn to speak. "So, once we know whether the baby is a girl or a boy, are you planning to let us know the name?"

Rory looked at Logan. "We hadn't planned to hold the name back."

Logan agreed. "We are anxious for everyone to know not only what we are having but also what his or her name will be."

Chit chat resumed amongst the guests but was halted about ten minutes later by Honor. "Okay. My food is settled. Who else is ready to break into the cake?"

A chorus of agreement followed.

Rory, too, agreed. She couldn't wait any longer to know whether her gut instinct was correct. She and Logan moved toward the kitchen island, both picking up the knife that had been placed beside the beautifully decorated cake, which had the words "He or she? What will be baby be?" written on the top.

Logan looked at Rory with a wide smile.

"Ready, Ace?"

Rory nodded and they plunged the knife into a corner of the cake, making two cuts.

As they pulled the piece away, the color of the cake became visible.

Cheers rang out as Rory saw that she was, in fact, correct.