Chapter 46

Rory wasn't the only Gilmore with a baby-related appointment that day. Lorelai and Luke ventured to Hartford for an appointment with the fertility clinic. Even though she tried so hard to be calm and relaxed, each mile brought more and more nerves as Lorelai wondered what the results would show.

The appointment was routine, with Lorelai answering questions and doing the usual things when seeing a doctor. She was sent to an adjoining lab where a vial of blood was taken. That very vial contained the answer to the question that was never far from her mind: was she pregnant?

On the way home, Lorelai remarked to Luke that she was going to be on pins and needles until the call came tomorrow afternoon with the test results. "I just don't know what to do with myself until then."

"Find something to do that occupies your mind. Go help Rory around their house. Take her to go see a movie. Do shopping. Just find a way to limit your mind wandering back to the test."

"I'll try that. I was planning to head to the inn but if I'm working in my office, I'll just be thinking and worrying."

Luke dropped Lorelai off at home then went to the diner. Even though he gave her ideas about keeping her mind occupied, he knew he would have no such luck because he, too, would be anticipating the news tomorrow's call would bring.

*****

Knock, knock, knock.

Logan opened the front door of his and Rory's new home. "Hey Lorelai, how did the appointment go?"

"Good. Routine. Now it's just a waiting game. And I'm very bad at waiting games."

Logan smirked. "I've never been too good at those myself. Rory is in what will be her library and office, working on organizing bookshelves."

Shoot! Lorelai thought. That will take her days!

Lorelai entered a room toward the back of the house that had recently had beautiful wooden bookcases built and secured to the wall. There were upwards of fifteen boxes haphazardly scattered around with their flaps opened. Piles of books stood beside the boxes, awaiting their journey to their new home.

"Whatcha doing kid?" She asked, causing her daughter to turn at the sound of her voice.

"Hey Mom, I'm just trying to get my bookshelves in order. Grandpa's desk will be delivered tomorrow and I need to make room for it."

"Want some help?"

"Really? Shouldn't you be at the inn?"

"Technically, yes. But even if my body is there, my mind won't be."

Remembering that her mother also had an appointment this morning, she asked how it went.

"Fine. Just waiting on the results."

"And you aren't good with waiting."

"Funny, I told Logan that very thing when he asked about the appointment too."

Rory smiled. "I know you well."

"That you do."

The two worked for hours, grouping and organizing books by genre, then by author's last name. They took a break for lunch when Luke delivered cheeseburgers and fries but back to work they went. Logan checked on them often, helping when asked. Before they knew it, the sun was setting and the last book was being placed on a shelf.

"Thank you Mom. Without you, I don't know that I would have gotten all of that done."

"Anything for you...and anything to keep my mind busy. Hey, got anything else that needs organizing? Because I think I have just proven my worth with that task."

Rory laughed. "I want to get my kitchen in order too. Things have been unpacked but there isn't a system to it."

Lorelai held up her hand. "That's a job for Sookie. What if we get over here tomorrow morning and the three of us can knock that out?"

"Oh, I would love to have Sookie's guidance on the kitchen!"

Lorelai grabbed out her cell phone and dialed the inn. Once connected to Sookie, she relayed her idea, which was met with eager enthusiasm. Ending the call, Lorelai smiled. "We will be here at eight in the morning."

"Perfect! What are your plans for the rest of the night?"

"I don't know." Lorelai thought for a moment. "Want to hit the Black, White, and Read Movie Theater?"

"What are they showing?"

"Who cares? It will keep my mind focused on things other than the test."

"Sure. Let's tell Logan. I need to grab my coat. Are we heading to Luke's for dinner first?"

Checking her watch, Lorelai grinned. "Looks like we have time."