Chapter 76

Seconds turned to minutes, minutes into an hour. An hour into two. Uncomfortable as she was, Lorelai was beginning to second guess her decision to wait. The not-so-long consult had moved into new territory long before and Lorelai was ready to be home and comfortable.

Looking at Luke, she nudged his arm. "I'm ready to reschedule. I can't sit in these chairs anymore. I'm cramping in places I never knew could cramp."

Luke stood and held his hand out to help Lorelai unfold herself. She reached for her purse and made a beeline for the reception desk. "I think it's best that we reschedule our appointment. I don't know how much longer Dr. Whitley will be and I'm too uncomfortable in these chairs to wait anymore."

Nodding her head, the receptionist acknowledged Lorelai's request but held her finger up. She reached for her phone and dialed a few numbers. After a brief conversation, the woman hung up and smiled up at Lorelai. "Dr. Whitley just walked in and asked a nurse to get you set up in a room."

Relief and excitement filled Lorelai. She smiled and turned toward the door that led to the back. As if on cue, it opened and a nurse moved through. Upon seeing Lorelai heading her way, she smiled and held the door for the expectant parents.

The questions were asked quickly, making Lorelai thankful that the momentum had picked up and the staff seemed to sense her discomfort. Before everything was even asked, the door to the exam room opened and the doctor came in. She told the nurse that she'd handle the rest since Luke and Lorelai had been so patient.

Several minutes later, Dr. Whitley wheeled the ultrasound machine over. "Okay, let's get on with the show and get to the main reason for today's visit. I only ask that you both keep in mind that we may not be successful in viewing the proper areas on the babies."

Nodding, Lorelai understood but hoped that it didn't come to that. She really didn't want to wait another twenty weeks to learn whether she was carrying a boy and a girl or two of either gender.

After getting everything in place, the ultrasound began. The measurement phase came first and the doctor commented that both babies were measuring well and everything looked healthy. Dr. Whitley moved the handheld tool around Lorelai's belly, trying to ascertain what part of each baby was where in order to seek out the best views.

A few long moments later, the wand was stopped and the doctor smiled as she hit buttons to print several successive images. Reaching for the prints, she said, "I believe it's safe to say that both babies have provided us with a clear shot of the goods. If you look here," she said as she pointed to a spot on the picture, "you can see...."

*****

Michel found reasons to be around the Dragonfly while Jennifer Lawrence was a guest. When he first registered her, she gave no checkout date and from all appearances, she looked to be settling in for a somewhat lengthy stay.

The spa had become a well-oiled machine of sorts. Michel's second in command, Raul, had been ensuring everything continued along with no problems while he made himself available to the inn's guests. Well, mainly one guest.

And here was that one guest now.

"Miss Lawrence, are you enjoying this beautiful spring morning?"

Jennifer smiled as she moved closer to the check in desk. "I am. It's so peaceful here. Definitely needed this time away." She began to move toward the inn's front door.

"You haven't given a definitive checkout date yet. Do you have any indication as to how long you plan to stay with us?"

"Ready to get rid of me?"

"Oh, no! Quite the opposite!"

Laughing, Jennifer turned toward Michel. "I plan to stay for the rest of the week. And, if all things play out like I'm hoping, I'll be back indefinitely later this year when I shoot a movie in a neighboring town."

Michel's eyes lit up. Even more time with the insatiable Jennifer Lawrence. 

That was music to his ears.

*****

Rory stood at her living room window, pulling the curtain back to watch for her mother and step-father to arrive. In the hopes of learning what her siblings would be, she had taken it upon herself to set up a smallish gathering at her home, inviting Emily, Sookie, and Jackson. Everyone but the two people who knew the news were here and were eager to be let in on babies' genders.

Pacing back and forth, Emily appeared nervous.

"Would you like a cigarette while you wait, Grandma?" Rory joked, recalling the old movies where an expectant father would smoke in the waiting room while he awaited word on the arrival of his child.

Pulling her out of her revere, Emily shook her head. "No, of course not— oh, you're joking."

"What's wrong, Emily?" Sookie asked.

"I just want to be sure that the babies are growing as they should be. I know that Lorelai's stomach is growing by leaps and bounds but that isn't always an accurate indicator."

"Oh Grandma, I'm sure everything is okay. Why are you concerned?"

"Well, your mother doesn't exactly keep the healthiest of diets. I've seen her scarf down enough food in one sitting that would feed everyone in this room." Emily rolled her eyes just thinking of her daughter's eating habits.

Noticing movement outside, Rory dashed back to the window. Spying Luke's truck pulling up outside, she turned toward those waiting with her. "They're here!"