Chapter 32

Odette's father was not pleased once he learned of his daughter's broken engagement. The two had yelled back and forth for a couple hours as they hashed out everything. Odette asked why he had allowed her to be set up and fooled into being in the relationship. As usual, her concerns were dismissed with the wave of a hand and she was told that she knew nothing about family loyalty.

Once back at her Paris apartment, Odette looked around at her familiar belongings. Funny, she never got rid of it or moved about half of her possessions to Logan's. It's almost as if she subconsciously knew this was her home, not his place. Realizing she had to coordinate with Logan a time to gather the things she did take to his apartment, she made a mental note to do just that later this evening.

Odette walked over to her comfortable tan couch and sat down. She had begun to reevaluate everything in her life, from the people to the college degree. She knew that she didn't want to sit around, relying on the family money to get her through. She wanted to be up, active, do something with her life. Something meaningful. She recalled how Rory mentioned being offered a position at her alma mater if she ever went for her masters.

That's when it hit her: Odette could teach! She could look for a job as a history teacher!

With enthusiasm she hadn't felt in a long time, Odette pulled out her laptop and began to search online for how to become a certified teacher and if local schools were looking for what she could offer. For the next few hours, she engrossed herself in finding anything she could about what she would have to do and began making plans to do it.

Seeing that it was nearly midnight, Odette grabbed her phone and dialed Logan's number. She wanted to schedule a time to get the rest of her belongings packed up.

"Hello?" Logan's voice filled the line.

"Logan, it's Odette. I wanted to check if you have a convenient time to allow me into the London apartment to gather my things."

"You still have a key. Feel free to head there whenever you can. I trust that you won't torch the place." Logan chuckled, making Odette do the same.

"You can be sure of that. Will you be in London anytime soon?"

"Rory and I plan to fly over within the next few days so I can meet with my dad about transferring to New York."

"Okay. I'll try to make arrangements to get there tomorrow or the following day so that I can be completely out before you and Rory get there. I don't want it to be awkward for either of you."

"I appreciate your thoughtfulness."

"Logan, weird question: is Rory around?"

Logan paused, clearly unsure of why she was asking. "Uh, yeah, she is."

"Can I talk to her?"

"Um, sure." Odette heard some muffled sounds and voices. She assumed Logan covered the mouthpiece with his hand.

Rory came on the line with a tentative greeting. "Hello?"

"Rory, I wanted to thank you for something you said in passing to me. You mentioned being offered a position at your alma mater if you ever got your masters. For some reason, that stuck with me. I got back to my apartment and began thinking about what I wanted to do with my life and it hit me: teach!"

"Odette, that's wonderful!"

"I am very excited! I realized I needed to be true to myself. Everything with Logan opened my eyes about letting my father control me. No more. I'm living for me."

"Seriously, that is great news. I am very happy for you!"

After ending the call, Odette changed and climbed into her comfortable bed. Sleep wasn't too far off, bringing with it dreams of standing in front of students, passionately teaching about the past.

Just like she suspected before, she was going to be all right.

*****

Michel walked through what he believed would become the world-renowned Dragonfly Spa. The sale had closed a couple days before, allowing Tom to begin the many renovations. Lorelai had come to Michel just before the closing and told him that she wanted him to head up the project. At the unexpected news, Michel threw his arms around her and promised the spa would be fabulous.

Tom had a full crew working on making the necessary changes to the various areas he and Michel had discussed. Several men were working downstairs to open up the lobby while others were adding walls throughout other spaces to make several treatment rooms. Even though it wasn't near completion, Michel could already envision what would be: calming rooms painted light purples and teals with yellow accents, occupied by relaxed guests who were being pampered. The vision made him smile in the midst of the dusty, messy reality.

"Michel!" Tom yelled from the top of the stairs.

"Yes, Tom? How can I help you?"

"I don't know what you said, Michel, but could you come up here? I want to make sure this wall is one you wanted knocked down."

Rolling his eyes, Michel made his way up the stairs, careful not to get any dirt on his new Italian suit. "Certainly, Tom. Apparently, I'm at your beck and call."

In spite of himself, Michel began to smile again.