Chapter 41

Jess looked to Luke with a questioning glance but Luke discreetly waved him off. Realizing he was unable to be brought up to speed without causing tension, Jess rolled with it and introduced Natalie to Rory and Logan. Before anything more could be said, Luke informed everyone that dinner was ready, motioning for everyone to head into the kitchen.

"It will be a bit of a tight fit with six of us at a table for four but since no one has cooties, I assume we'll be able to make it work," Lorelai chimed in, bringing up the rear.

Seated at the small table, the next few minutes were a flurry of activity with everyone filling their plates. Small talk ensued, topics ranging from the forecasted weather to the presidential election. Conversation became lively as the subject matter became more controversial but it was discussions like this that always pleased Jess. He loved being able to debate something just for the sake of debating, to hopefully make a point and open others' eyes to a point of view they may not have considered. He was thrilled to see Natalie holding her own, too, against Lorelai and Rory, who could be somewhat opinionated.

After everyone was through eating, they all moved back into the living room. Rory broached several questions to Natalie in what Jess assumed was an attempt to learn more about her. Natalie was quick to respond, each time offering a little more information than what was asked. As he watched her, he felt butterflies begin tumbling around in his stomach. The feeling surprised him. He felt like everyone was getting to see the beauty within Natalie and it was such a great thing to experience.

About an hour later, Lorelai asked if anyone wanted coffee. Everyone except Luke accepted, so she took off to the kitchen to get some made. Rory excused herself, saying she wanted to help. In what could have been a somewhat uncomfortable situation for Jess himself with Logan, Natalie made comfortable by posing questions to both Luke and Logan. She appeared to truly be interested in finding more out about Jess, which he was perfectly fine with.

Lorelai soon returned with a tray of coffee and empty cups while Rory brought in a plate of cookies. The group of six continued to chitchat but soon, it was evident that the party would be breaking up. Jess placed his hand on Natalie's back in a gesture that told her he was ready to gather their things and head out, prompting Luke and Lorelai to stand. They began to head toward the door when Lorelai stopped to speak to Rory. "You're probably exhausted. I bet all your travel lately is taking its toll on you and the baby," she said quietly.

Jess, however, heard the remark. He looked at Rory, his face full of unanswered questions. "You're pregnant?"

Rory's face turned pink. "Yes, I am."

Jess nodded, saying nothing more. He shifted his glance to Luke, suddenly realizing why Logan was here. The baby was his.

Jess leaned over to hug Rory and to shake Logan's hand. "Congratulations to you both."

*****

Jess held Natalie's door open, closing it softly once she was inside. He walked around the back of the car, making his way to the driver's side. He barely had the door closed before Natalie spoke up.

"How long ago did you two date?"

Jess' head whipped up, astonished. "What?"

Natalie grabbed his hand in an attempt to soothe him. "The day I overheard you and Brian talking about rings, I heard you make a comment about a Rory. It isn't exactly a common name so I'm assuming the Rory I met this evening was the Rory you were referring to."

His eyes closed, Jess squeezed the bridge of his nose. "I'm sorry. I should have told you."

"So how long ago did you two date?"

"We dated in high school. We were together for about six months."

"But you have always held a torch for her."

"Up until you, yes."

"How did I change that for you?"

"I went into our first date, doubting that you would compare to the idea I held of Rory, but I ended up finding something I didn't know I needed."

"You aren't using me to try to make Rory jealous, are you?"

Jess held Natalie's hand in place. "Absolutely not. I promise you that. I wouldn't lead you on for the sake of making my high school girlfriend jealous."

"You say 'high school girlfriend' like it's in the past. But up until a few weeks ago, she was very much in your present."

Natalie spoke the truth.