Chapter 17

Even though this was her first time in Stars Hollow, Odette took the lead on finding a private spot where she could talk to Logan without interruption. Spying a charming gazebo, she took off toward it. She only hoped that nightfall would keep any other visitors or eavesdroppers at bay.

Taking a seat on a wooden bench inside the century-old structure, Odette began fiddling with a tissue she held. She wasn't sure how to start this conversation; no words felt justified in light of all that had happened.

Sensing she was struggling, Logan broke the silence. "Odette, what is going on? How did you find me?"

Odette met Logan's eyes. "Why, Logan? Have something to hide?"

Guilt played at Logan's features. As much as he had dreaded this confrontation, it was better to lay all the cards on the table and level with Odette. "I think it's safe to assume that, since you're here, you already know the answer to that."

"You're right. I do."

"What made you suspicious?" Logan was curious, as he felt he did his best to cover his tracks.

"The signs were there. I just hoped I was wrong. I learned earlier this evening that my assumptions were, unfortunately, spot on."

"I'm sorry, Odette. I don't think anything I say can undo the hurt I caused."

"Tell me about her, about how this whole thing happened."

"I don't think—" Logan began to protest but was interrupted by a very determined Odette.

"You were unfaithful to me, Logan. I want to know about the woman you chose and how it all came to be. You owe me that." The last sentence was said in a whisper.

With that, Logan expelled a held breath. "Rory and I were in a serious relationship in college. She is the girl who flipped me from being a playboy to a boyfriend. I graduated from Yale a year before she did. At a graduation party thrown for her by her grandparents, I proposed in front of all the guests. Rory said she needed time to think but ultimately rejected me. I was so hurt and lost without her so I threw myself into my work."

When Odette didn't stop him, Logan kept talking. "After spending years doing stupid stunts with Colin and Finn, I must have somehow proved my worth to my father and he decided I should head up the London office. Hoping a change of scenery would help me forget about Rory once and for all, I leaped at the chance. Roughly a year or so passed and my father felt that I needed to settle down with a wife."

Logan paused, afraid what he was about to say would further hurt Odette but knowing there was no way to avoid it. "Mitchum Huntzberger doesn't mess around with the family business or family money, so he wanted his heir to marry someone with money of her own. He searched for an available, reputable woman. He found you. I was told that your father had a similar goal in terms of protecting family assets so my father felt it was the perfect fit. That's when he worked with your father to arrange our meeting."

Odette's eyes filled with an indiscernible emotion. She nodded to Logan, wanting him to continue.

"The problem was, no matter how much time we spent together or how much pressure my father put on me, I couldn't forget Rory. I couldn't not love her. I kept hoping that time would heal my wounds or shift those feelings to you but it didn't."

"You never loved me." Odette's tone of voice was matter of fact, completely devoid of feeling.

Hesitating, Logan looked away. "No, I didn't."

"So when did Rory reenter your life?"

Unable to restrain a slight smile, Logan told Odette of his chance run in with Rory at a small café in Hamburg, how they went to dinner and ended up back in Logan's hotel room. After that, they began their Vegas-style relationship, getting together in London frequently. "It was my way to get to be with her without ruining what my father wanted."

Ignoring the last comment, Odette shifted on the bench. "Did he know you still loved Rory?"

"No, but it wouldn't have mattered if he did."

Confused, Odette asked, "Why not?"

"Because Rory isn't good enough in my parents' eyes."