Chapter 81

Knock, knock, knock.

Someone was knocking on Logan and Rory's front door. Peeking outside, Logan spied an unfamiliar car parked at the curb.

Opening the door, Mitchum was revealed.

"Logan."

"Dad, this is unexpected. Is everything all right?"

"Can't a father drop in on his son unannounced?"

"Yes, he can, but when you live in London and I live in Connecticut, drop in's are usually out of the question."

Logan moved to the side to allow his father to enter.

Looking around, Mitchum stopped and turned. "No Rory?"

Pointing to the back of the house, Logan answered. "She's in her office at the back of the house. Follow me."

The Huntzberger men moved quickly through the house. Knocking once, Logan pushed the door open and announced Mitchum. Rory, as surprised as Logan, stood to give Mitchum a brief, one armed hug.

"Mitchum! Did we know you were coming?"

Laughing, Mitchum shook his head. "Not unless you have a crystal ball. And even if you did, those things aren't reliable. No, no, my trip here was completely impromptu. I flew to New York City to meet with some big wigs of a company we are considering acquiring. I figured I was this close to you so why not stop by to see where my son, my lovely soon-to-be daughter-in-law, and my soon-to-arrive granddaughter lived."

Small talk ensued while Logan gave Mitchum a tour of the house. Unsure what his reaction would be, Logan did everything in his power to remain upbeat. Once they were back in the den with a drink, Mitchum commented on how nice the house was and how he was impressed with the warmth and invitation it offered to guests.

"That's all Rory. She took her time picking out every piece of furniture and décor to give that feeling. She excelled at it, if I say so myself."

"She certainly did."

Silence filled the room while both men sipped on their beverages. Finally, Logan placed his glass on the coffee table and leaned forward.

"So what's up Dad? Is this visit really just a stop to see where we live or is there more to it than that?"

"A little of both, I suppose. I did want to see your house but I also wanted to let you know that the divorce is final."

Logan nodded. He knew it would happen eventually but it still surprised him that he suddenly felt empty. He never looked at his parents' marriage as one to aspire to but their split was shocking regardless.

"I'm sorry, Dad. I'm sure it's a difficult time."

"Yes and no. I care about your mother. She gave me you and Honor. But, as I said before, I never felt about her the way you feel about Rory. I never cared whether I got home in time to see her before she went to bed. All the travel did not cause me to miss her or to pick up the phone just to hear her voice. I married her to set the tone in my relationship with my father who, at the time, thought he could run my life."

Logan knew that feeling all too well.

Mitchum continued. "The funny thing is that you're doing the very same thing but with an entirely different set of feelings. You're marrying the girl you love despite the fact that, all those years ago, your mother and grandfather were dead set against it. You're defying things for the right reason, whereas I did it for the wrong."

Nodding again, Logan didn't know what to say. His father made a good point. It wasn't hard to recall that disastrous dinner when Shira all but forbade Logan from marrying Rory due to her desire to become something other than a Stepford wife.

Quietly, Logan asked, "How is Mom taking this?"

"I don't know. The last time I saw her was over a month ago at a hearing regarding the division of our assets. She wasn't happy but was cordial. I still don't know what to make of that."

"Have you tried talking to her?"

"Believe it or not, I've called her a few times but she doesn't always answer."

"This will sound terrible but I have been so busy with life here that I haven't tried reaching her lately."

Mitchum laughed. "I think she understands that you've got quite a lot on your plate right now."

Guilt settled in despite what his father said. While he and Rory did have a lot going on, it was no excuse to have completely disregarded everything his parents were going through. If he was honest with himself, Logan would have to admit that he thought next to nothing about the pending divorce.

As if reading his mind, Mitchum held up a hand. "Don't even worry about it, Logan. You checked in by email with me on work stuff and I know that Rory has been emailing your mother so she knows you're okay and is up-to-date on everything Lora related."

Logan was taken aback. "Rory's been emailing Mom?"

"Your mother mentioned getting updates on the pregnancy and wedding. I think some of the news came from Emily but most have been from Rory. Judging by the expression on your face, I'd say you didn't know."

"No, I didn't."

"Well, women are beautifully confusing beings. Never try to understand their thinking because that will only cause more confusion."

Mitchum and Logan talked for a few more minutes before Mitchum's phone began to ring. Excusing himself, he made his way outside to his car and was quickly on his way.

Logan took the opportunity to find where his fiancée had disappeared to. It didn't surprise him to find her behind her desk, typing away at her book. Taking a seat in front of her, he leaned back.

"Why didn't you tell me you have been emailing my mom?"

Shocked, Rory's eyes flew to his. "How do you know I have been?"

"My dad told me. My mom must have told him."

"I know her reaction to your choosing me over Odette left a bitter taste in her mouth. But she will be my mother-in-law and, more importantly, Lora's grandma. I wanted to try to make amends. I've been updating her on the pregnancy and telling her things we're planning for the wedding."

"Has she responded to you?"

"Yes but basically only to acknowledge she read my email."

"Whatever you're doing, it's working. My dad made it sound like she was happy you've been including her."

The two sat quietly for a moment before Rory shared a thought.

"She'll come around, Logan. Don't worry; she will."