Chapter 63

"So she just walked out without another word?" Rory asked, sitting across from Lorelai at a table at Luke's Diner.

"Yep. Just like that."

"Have you heard from her?"

"Nope. I've been debating on what to do because I have no idea what brought that fit on."

Rory looked around. "Do you think she is having second thoughts about living above the diner and is trying to make the process difficult to give herself an out when anyone goes against what she wants?"

"I guess it's possible but I really think that something is going on that she isn't telling us. She wasn't herself this morning. When we had talked before about the remodel, she was excited and eager about it. But we met with the architect, she seemed preoccupied and determined that she would have everything a certain way with no room for changes. Dare I say it...she was like the old Emily."

Fearing what it could mean, Rory made a suggestion to Lorelai. "Is she still staying at the Dragonfly? Should we go drop in on her and see if we can get to the bottom of this?"

"I don't know Rory. She was really upset. I don't want to make things even worse by barging in."

"Well, what's your suggestion then?"

Lorelai thought for a few minutes. "Ugh, I don't have one. Let's go." She relayed to Luke what she and Rory planned to do.

Luke chuckled. "Yeah, like that'll go over well. Good luck. You'll both need it."

*****

Knock, knock, knock.

"Grandma?"

Silence.

Knock, knock, knock.

"Mom?"

Silence.

Lorelai and Rory looked at each other, unsure of what to do now.

"Go in?" Rory mouthed.

Lorelai nodded, adjusting her purse on her shoulder. She gripped the handle and turned it a little to find it was unlocked. She kept turning the knob slowly as she called out, "Mom, Rory and I are coming in."

Upon entering, it became quickly apparent that the room was empty.

Rory spotted Emily's luggage, which had been laid on a chair in the corner of the room. She moved to it and unzipped it to find that all of her grandmother's belongings had returned to the suitcase.

"She is planning to leave."

"Yes, I am."

Lorelai and Rory turned toward the door to see Emily.

"Mom—"

"Lorelai, don't."

"Yes, Mom, I am. What is going on? What was that this morning?"

"What was that? That was me, upset that I was being told I couldn't have what I wanted."

"That isn't what you were told. George only said he was afraid it would be too cluttered and cramped by combining those floor plans."

"Which equates to me not getting what I want." Emily moved deeper into the room, intent on grabbing her luggage.

"Mom, listen to yourself."

Emily swung around with a hard stare aimed at Lorelai. "I hear myself loud and clear, thank you. Why am I expected to settle for something I don't want? If I'm willing to pay for something, I should get what I want!" The volume of her voice increased with each spoken word.

Rory had been silent but now spoke up. "Grandma, I don't think anyone thinks you should settle. What is the problem with what you want?"

Emily shook her head. "Oh, the architect said that combining features from two layouts would clutter the space due to where walls would be placed."

"Would you be okay with choppy rooms, Mom? I think that's what George was trying to get at. He thought the rooms would be choppy. It's already a small space anyway. He was trying to maximize it as much as he could."

Emily walked toward the bed and sat on the edge. Her shoulders heaved and her voice quieted. "I know. I saw what he meant. I just wasn't sold on any of the layouts as they were."

"But George said he could create his own based on your specifications."

"I know he did, Lorelai."

"Then why—"

"Why did I run out like I did?"

"Yeah." Lorelai took a seat beside Rory, sitting as gingerly as possible given her swollen belly.

Emily wiped at tears that had begun to fall. "I'm scared."

"Scared?" Rory repeated. "Of living in Stars Hollow? It's really not bad, Grandma."

Despite herself, Emily laughed. "No, not of living in Stars Hollow. Girls, this is hard for me to say and I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, but..."

Rory and Lorelai exchanged nervous glances, unsure of what to expect.

"...I went for my annual mammogram last week and they found something."

Both younger Gilmores gasped.

"What does that mean, Grandma?"

"The mammogram revealed a mass. I went for a more thorough mammogram and the mass was present there, as well. After meeting with my doctor, a biopsy was recommended, which I had done four days ago. I'm still waiting for the results."

"Oh Mom, why did you keep that to yourself?"

"My mother died of cancer, Lorelai. Like I said, I'm scared," Emily simply stated.