Chapter 68

Lorelai happened to be at Luke's Diner when Logan called to say he found Rory unconscious. He relayed the little information he knew— that she had responded to a text from him about two hours before— but said he had called 911 and she was being rushed to the emergency room. He was following behind with Finn and Colin because the paramedics wanted to have room to work.

Giving the Luke the basics, he grabbed his keys and they were on their way, as well. The drive to the hospital took a terribly long time. Luke honked the horn at numerous drivers who were driving slowly in the passing lane or who merged without signaling.

Finally, Luke parked outside the emergency room and he was coming around to help Lorelai out. They walked as fast as her body would allow. Once at the reception desk, Luke calmly informed why they were there but the staff said the doctors were still checking Rory and instructed them to take a seat.

Lorelai glanced to the bank of chairs and saw two familiar faces. She knew those men must be Colin and Finn. She nudged Luke, gesturing to the men's direction and they moved that way.

"Do you have any new information?" Lorelai asked, taking a seat across from Finn.

"No, we don't. Logan demanded that he be allowed back with our girl. The nurse put up a fight but ended up allowing it."

Our girl, Lorelai thought, a tiny smile touching her lips. Even after all these years, Colin and Finn still referred to Rory as theirs. Lorelai never thought much of the Life and Death Brigade crew but seeing their worry and angst at Rory's plight made her feel a little better.

Waiting wasn't easy in most respects but factor in a pregnant mother waiting for an update on her pregnant daughter and the whole waiting game got even harder.

What was going on and why wasn't anyone letting her know how her daughter was?

Commotion came from the general area Lorelai assumed Rory was. She heard a male voice begin yelling. It was Logan. "Rory! Rory! Someone tell me what's wrong with her!"

Lorelai's heart rate quickened as she feared what that might mean.

*****

Rory heard Logan's voice, calling for her but, no matter how much she tried to force her lips to move or her voice to beckon, she couldn't. Black swirled around her, causing confusion to swell. She felt like she was standing in the midst of something, though she couldn't be sure what. She blinked once, then again. Suddenly, Rory was in the living room of her grandparents' Hartford house. Everything was as it was before her grandfather died. Unsure of what was happening, she moved through the house, searching for someone, anyone.

Checking the dining room and kitchen, Rory came up empty. It appeared that no one else was in the house with her. She was alone, fear mounting the more ground she covered. As she rounded back through the dining room, she spied her grandfather's study. The door was open. Moving closer, she sneaked a peek inside and was shocked to find Richard Gilmore sitting behind the desk, just as he had done when he was alive.

Still not sure what was happening, Rory stood inside the door. "Grandpa?"

Richard looked up. "Rory!" He stood. The large, broad man swiftly approached his granddaughter and embraced her.

"Grandpa, what is going on?"

"Well, it would appear that you and I are standing in my old house."

Rory took a moment to process what her grandfather had just said. "Wait, what do you mean your 'old house'?"

Richard chuckled. "I believe I stopped "living" here when I died so I began calling this place my old house."

"So you're still gone? Then how am I here? How am I seeing you?"

Richard led Rory to a chair that sat opposite of his desk. "It seems that you're in limbo, my dear." He moved back and sat behind the desk that, in reality, was in Rory's home office.

"In limbo?"

"You passed out after you stood to retrieve a book."

"Why? Is the baby okay?"

A smile spread across Richard's face, bringing Rory's attention to the mustache that held its place just above his lip. Grandma would be so mad if she knew the mustache made it to Grandpa's afterlife.

"The baby is fine."

"But if I'm...if I'm dead—"

"Rory, honey, you're not dead."

"Grandpa, what's going on?"

"I'm here to comfort you while the doctor's work on you. I could see that you were scared and I wanted to reassure that you're going to be fine."

"I am? You're sure?"

"Yes, I am. You didn't honestly think that you'd be leaving Logan after all it took for the two of you to finally find your way back together, did you?"

"I hoped not. I want to be able to see our daughter and watch her grow."

"And that, you will."

The two sat in silence for several moments before Rory spoke up. "Grandpa, I really miss you."

"I know you do. I miss you. And Emily, oh I deeply miss Emily. Your mother too. But I'm always in your hearts."

Tears formed in Rory's eyes. "I don't want to leave you. I want to stay here and talk to you about books, old movies, even Chuck Berry."

A loud, boisterous laugh erupted from Richard. "I would love to have your company for eternity but your time isn't here yet. You still have a lot of life to live, Rory Gilmore. Go back and live it to the fullest. Watch baby Lora learn and grow. Marry Logan. Visit with your grandmother and help keep that mother of yours in line with those babies of hers. But go."

"Grandpa—"

Richard held up a hand, stopping Rory mid-sentence. He stood and moved back around the desk. Reaching for her hand, he helped Rory to her feet and pulled her close.

"You were the absolutely best granddaughter anyone could have ever asked for. I was honored to be your grandfather and have the opportunity to watch you become this beautiful woman. I'll keep watch over you and the rest. Don't forget that. And don't forget me."

"I could never forget you, Grandpa. You are a big part of why I am who I am. I love you."

"I love you too."

While still wrapped in her departed grandfather's embrace, Rory realized something was happening. She was coming to, returning to her earthly body.

Logan's voice filled her ears, saying her name. Rory could hear the longing in his tone, begging her to come back to him. His touch was felt on her hand, lightly squeezing. She commanded her hand to move in his. He must have felt the movement because she could tell he was shifting beside the bed, his voice becoming more urgent.

Another baritone voice joined Logan's. It must be the doctor's. Rory felt her eyelid being lifted and saw a bright light move back and forth. Wincing, Rory moaned.

"Rory's responding! She's moving! Is she okay, doctor?"

"It would appear she is beginning to respond which is a great sign."

"Logan?" Rory's voice was hoarse, from what she didn't know. She opened her eyes and saw that tears had dampened Logan's eyes and cheeks. "Logan, am I okay? Is the baby okay?"

"Yes, yes. You're both going to be fine."

Rory heaved a sigh of relief. They were all right. Just like Grandpa said they'd be.