Chapter 112

Before they knew it, fall had arrived. The air, turning sharply cooler, now provided a sting to the eyes when moving outdoors. The trees began to change colors, bringing a vividness to the world that lived only in the latter part of the year.

Emily was watching the twins, giving Lorelai an afternoon out of the house. She had texted Sookie, asking her to meet at Luke's for some coffee. Twenty minutes later, the best friends were seated at a corner table, chatting about a variety of topics.

Sookie cleared her throat. "Lorelai, there's something I've been wanting to ask you but I'm afraid of the answer."

As if she already knew the question, Lorelai lowered her coffee cup and mentally braced herself for where she believed the conversation would go. "What's that?"

"Are you going to come back to the inn?"

Pausing briefly, Lorelai laid her hand on Sookie's. "You know I love you and I love the inn. But I am having a hard time adjusting to the thought of leaving the twins."

Smiling sadly, Sookie nodded. "I figured as much when you extended your maternity leave three times."

"I'm sorry I didn't talk to you sooner. I just wanted to be sure I wanted to sell before even mentioning it."

Sookie's head shot up. "Wait a minute. What do you mean 'sell'?"

"Well, I assumed we would sell if I was out. Am I wrong?"

Becoming quiet, Sookie took a couple moments before answering. "I suppose that would make the most sense."

Lorelai could see that Sookie's heart was breaking. "I only assumed that so that the full financial burden wasn't on you. I've been trying to do some research and have been in contact with the Harper Group, a company that buys inns like ours. They're interested, Sookie. They would probably even keep you on to run the restaurant."

"Have they made an offer?"

Lorelai shook her head. "No, they want to tour the inn and sit down to look at the finances before doing that."

"I'd like to think we'd walk away with a nice chunk of change."

"I'd like to think so too."

"When can they meet with us?"

Lorelai shrugged. "I'm not sure. Do you want me to set up an appointment for them to come out?"

Sookie nodded. "I suppose it couldn't hurt."

It didn't take a genius to know that Sookie's comment wasn't true. Lorelai could tell that she had deeply hurt her best friend.

*****

Emily sat on the couch, reading a book, when Lorelai returned. She immediately saw that her daughter was upset. She placed her book on the seat beside herself.

"What's wrong, Lorelai?"

Her daughter filled her in on what had transpired with Sookie.

"So I'm struggling with not wanting to go back to work but also with the pain of hurting my friend."

Emily thought for a moment. "You know, I may have a better solution."

Lorelai chuckled. "Oh yeah? What's that?"

"I'll buy you out. It will give you plenty to live on so that money isn't an issue while you serve your family. Plus, I'd leave it to you in my will so that you eventually become co-owner again— hopefully down the road a ways when you're ready to work outside of the home."

Dumbfounded, Lorelai sat speechless. What Emily was offering was intriguing. It would also leave Sookie with her half without forcing the burden solely on her shoulders.