Chapter 30

Logan and Rory stayed in London for two nights before heading back. They did some shopping and took in a few more touristy spots but were ready to board Colin's plane back home when the time came. Once on the plane, Rory called Lorelai to let her know they'd soon be in the air.

"Quick question— since it's Colin's plane that you're on, would it be possible to change your destination?" Lorelai asked.

Rory was slightly confused. "I'm not sure. Why?"

"I just thought maybe you and Logan could head to Nantucket instead of Stars Hollow."

Seeing where she was going, Rory turned to Logan to see if a change was possible. He jumped up to ask the pilot. Relaying this to Lorelai, Rory took a moment to tell her about what had happened at the dinner.

"Whoa, so Mitchum is leaving Shira. What will she do now, go back to being a cocktail waitress?" Lorelai chuckled, recalling what her mother had said to Shira at a DAR event many years before.

Rory added her own laugh to the mix. "I'm not sure. I have a feeling Mitchum had her sign a strict pre-nup so who knows if she'll have enough to keep out of the poor house."

Logan returned just then, giving Rory a thumbs up. "Mom, Logan says we can swing into Nantucket. Any chance you and Luke would be able to head up too? I'd like as much support as I can muster to tell grandma about the baby."

"One step ahead of you, kid. Luke and I are already on our way up for our week stay around Christmas."

"Christmas? But it's only mid-November."

Lorelai chuckled once again. "Yeah, I know. I offered to come help mom get the new house decorated early so that she can enjoy her first Christmas there without too much of a headache. She leapt at it."

"What about Berta and her family? Surely they'll be there to help too."

"Yes, they will but you know mom. She is very particular. I am hoping that Luke and I can be off working on things while mom oversees other areas and we won't be forced to be together much."

"Mom, you're terrible. Grandma has changed a lot since Grandpa died. She is much mellower than she used to be." At least, that's what Rory had been telling herself when worrying about how to tell her grandma that she was pregnant.

"Yes, well, that may be true in some instances but I'm still the big disappointment. I'll forever be upsetting her or ruining plans. I'm sure your pregnancy will somehow be my fault."

While Lorelai's statement may have been a bit dramatic, there was some underlying truth. Just as her great grandma, Lorelai the first, had done with Emily, Emily in turn had done with her own daughter.

"Well, let's hope she'll be too happy to blame anybody." Even as she said the words, Rory knew it likely wouldn't turn out that way.

*****

Jess and Natalie slowly worked into a routine of meeting every night for at least dinner. Some nights, they chose a restaurant nearby. Others, one or the other would cook or order in. They would sometimes see a movie, attend a show, do a little shopping— anything to extend their time together.

It had only been a couple weeks but Jess felt more and more certain that he would marry Natalie. Some days, he would toy with the idea of just popping the question while others, he would decide to just let things play out casually until he felt like it was time. Regardless, he found himself browsing a local jeweler's website in his office when Brian happened to stop by.

"Hey, just thought I'd stop by and see how things with Natalie are going. I hear that you've been out numerous times."

Jess couldn't restrain a smile. "Yes, we have. Natalie is..." His voice trailed off as his mind wandered to a memory of Natalie from the evening before where they were cuddled on her couch with a bottle of wine, watching some old, sappy movie that she loved.

"She's that great, huh?"

Brian's comment brought Jess back and he simply nodded. "There just aren't adequate words to describe her. Linda did a stellar job this time."

"From what she says, Natalie appears to be just as smitten with you. Linda said something about her wanting to marry you or hoping to marry you or something. I wasn't completely paying attention."

Jess was a little floored to hear that, especially since he had been thinking that same thing. Quickly, he turned to Brian. "Try to remember— Linda said Natalie wanted to marry me?"

Brian wasn't sure why Jess was so interested. "I don't know. Something like that was said. All I know is that I would have been running for the hills if Linda said something like that to me that early in our relationship." Brian's eyes flickered toward Jess' computer monitor, which was catty corner on the desk. Catching a glimpse of a diamond ring, his eyes grew large and he flew out of his seat, rounding the corner of the desk. "You're not..."

"I'm not doing anything. I was just curious about the cost of engagement rings."

"But why would that matter if you weren't planning to buy one?"

Jess tried to find some logical explanation but his mind became one giant blank. "I got nothing man. I know it's crazy but I can't help thinking that Natalie is it. I never thought I'd be able to move on from Rory. I was so hung up on her. Then Linda suggests a date with Natalie and I begin thinking 'Rory who?' Natalie is...Natalie is it for me. I think I'm falling in love with her."

Because Brian was standing beside Jess, neither had noticed someone had moved into the doorway of Jess' office. Once they recognized they were no longer alone, their gazes moved in unison to see who had been eavesdropping.

It was Natalie and her eyes were spilling tears over an enormous smile.