Chapter 88

Luke stood outside the nursery window, looking at the babies who lay sleeping in bassinets. Lora wasn't among them but he found that he couldn't look away.

In just two short months, he and Lorelai would have two of these little beings in their own home, whom they would be responsible for. There wouldn't be a hospital staff available to help care for Gabriella or Elijah. They wouldn't be able to pick up and leave on a moment's notice anymore. There would be careful planning and prepping before they'd be able to walk out the door.

Another thought hit Luke: they'd have to get another vehicle, one that was more family-friendly.

Luke felt his throat constrict as panic rose within. When he decided he wanted to father a child with Lorelai— or two, as the case may be— his thoughts ended at conceiving a baby. He never considered all the things that would change once the baby arrived. He never considered the jam hands.

Why in the world did he think he could handle raising a child?

*****

Lorelai sat in a chair beside Rory's bed while she dozed. In her arms, she held her newest namesake. The newborn smell overtook her and she smiled broadly as she gazed at the sleeping baby. She was transported to 1984 when she first held Rory after giving birth. The tiny fingers and toes mesmerized her while the noises filled her with joy.

And to think that, soon, she would have not only one baby to enjoy but two. Lorelai knew there would be some drastic changes but, once a routine was established, she and Luke would be able to handle things like champs.

Rory stirred, yawning before opening her eyes. She seemed to know instinctively where her baby was and she turned toward her mother. Smiling, she watched her daughter. "She is perfect, isn't she?"

Nodding, Lorelai answered. "Lora certainly is. I always said you were the most perfect baby but she definitely gives you a run for your money."

Rory looked around. "Where is Logan?"

"He ran home to shower and change. I told him I'd stay with you until he got back."

"He was great during my labor, wasn't he?"

Lorelai smiled. "He was. His love for you was evident. He is going to be a wonderful father."

Rory laid her head back on the pillow. "Looking back over this last year, I find it crazy how everything transpired."

"You have to realize that what has happened was meant to happen. Logan was meant to find his way back to you— and not in that ridiculous Vegas-style arrangement you crafted." Looking down again at the baby nestled in her arms, Lorelai continued. "This precious girl was meant to be born. Don't worry about how it happened; just be thankful that it did."

Rory laughed lightly. "I am, you don't have to worry about that! I will never take Logan for granted. I nearly lost him to Odette but some little girl had other plans." Her eyes fell onto her daughter once more.

Both women became silent, simply taking in the beauty of Lora. She yawned which was absolutely adorable. Lorelai had a feeling she would make everything adorable.

Even something as insignificant as a yawn. 

*****

April stood behind the counter at her mother's new store in Litchfield, Wild Oats, tapping her finger impatiently. When Anna called, asking her to watch the store, she assumed it would be for a short period of time. However, six hours later and Anna had yet to return.

Most people would be concerned by that. Not April. Anna had never been one to live by a clock or be glued to a cell phone. She moved throughout her days on her whims, letting her emotions and desires decide what her day consisted of. Today, those driving forces led her to a craft fair in Woodbury so she could try to get inspiration for new merchandise.

The door to the store opened and admitted a customer. "Welcome to Wild Oats. Browse around and let me know if you have any questions." The woman nodded, remaining silent. She moved off to the front corner of the shop, looking at a relatively new selection of summer sandals and candles.

April returned to her former stance, tapping her finger on the countertop. After a couple minutes, she reached for her cell phone, hoping her mother would actually acknowledge her daughter.

Mom, where are you?

Minutes passed without a response. Rolling her eyes, April looked up and saw that the customer had moved to the register with a few items in her hand.

"Did you find everything okay?"

"I did. This is a charming shop. Are you the proprietor?"

April shook her head. "No, my mother is. She had a little store in this area years ago but eventually closed it when she moved to New Mexico to care for my grandmother. She moved back a couple years ago but just opened this store a few months ago."

"Well, I must say that this will be my stop when I'm looking for unique gifts. The offerings here are marvelous."

April smiled. "Thank you. I'll pass that along to my mother. She was hoping to build up her reputation in the community again."

The customer smiled while she swiped her credit card and waited for the transaction to complete. April bagged the few items and handed it across the counter to the woman's waiting hand.

"Have a nice afternoon. Be sure to come again."

The woman turned back toward April on her way to the door. "I certainly will."

The look in her eyes stopped April in her tracks. Why did it remind her of someone?