Chapter 79

"Luke, you don't need to pay me." Tom stood in the Danes' living room, holding up his hands to the check Luke had offered him.

"Why not?" Luke was unsure why his payment was being rejected. "It was part of the agreement, that on the first of every month, I pay a third of the total balance. This is the first installment. Why are you not taking it?"

"Let's just say you don't owe anything."

"Let's say more than that, Tom. How can I not owe you anything? You've barely started the work on the house and I haven't paid you a dime."

"Luke, just take my word for it that you owe nothing. I have all I'll need for the time being."

"For the time being? Do you foresee my owing you anything down the road?"

"No, you're completely removed from payment. Don't you worry about that at all."

Luke stood, dumbfounded. He was missing something here. Something important. Not even a month ago, he and Lorelai had met with Tom to set up the additions on the house and Tom had outlined that the work would be completed in roughly three months. They had agreed on a payment of a third of the total charge on the first of each month. How did that change? Had someone paid the costs of this renovation off? If so, who?

Then it hit Luke.

Emily.

"Tom, did my mother-in-law contact you?"

Tom looked uncomfortable, his hand reaching around to the back of his neck. "Ugh, gee Luke, I don't know...."

Exasperated, Luke felt his patience wearing thin. "Tom. Did Emily Gilmore contact you about paying the balance?"

Tom's hesitance spoke volumes.

"Darn it, Tom! Why wouldn't you tell me that she called? And why would you accept her money?"

"I'm not in the habit of turning down money, Luke. Well, except for just now with you, but that was only because you really don't owe me that money so it wouldn't be right taking it."

"When did Emily pay you? And how much?"

"She called me about a week after we met. Said she wanted to foot the bill for the entire addition and wanted to be sure no expense was spared. She also pulled a page from your book and paid a hefty bonus to get the work done well ahead of schedule."

"How much ahead?"

"Emily hoped to have everything done in about half the time. With the bonus she offered, I told her we would certainly try."

"How much was she offering?"

"Double the total balance."

Luke whistled. That was an awfully nice incentive. "All right, Tom. I'll let you get back to work."

He needed to talk to Lorelai.

*****

Sitting in her office at the Dragonfly, Lorelai was trying to process what she was seeing.

A gift card had been sent to her at the inn for a nationwide baby chain. The balance on the gift card was roughly half of what a minimum wage employee would earn...in a year!

Searching the envelope or gift card for any indication of who had sent it, Lorelai came up blank.

Why would someone send such a generous gift and not include his or her name?

Lorelai's cell phone began to ring. She checked the caller and saw that it was Luke.

"Hola!"

"Hey, have you talked to your mom lately?"

"Not since Rory's baby shower last weekend. Why? Everything okay?"

Luke relayed the conversation he had had with Tom. As he did, Lorelai's gaze fell back on the gift card in front of her.

Of course. Why hadn't she thought of her mother before?

"Funny you should mention that. I received a gift card for a baby store in Hartford today."

"That's sweet, but how does that tie in with your mom paying for our addition?"

As soon as Lorelai informed him of the gift card's amount, he agreed that Emily must be behind it too.

"Let me call her to find out why she is showering us with money."

"Does she think we are broke? I know I run a diner and you run an inn but we are both doing very well for ourselves."

Lorelai cleared her throat. "Um, I own an inn and a spa, thank you."

Chuckling, Luke said his goodbye and ended the call.

Searching for her mother in her recent contacts, Lorelai decided now was as good a time as any for the call.

Once Emily answered, Lorelai wasted no time asking about her intentions with regards to paying Tom and sending the large gift card.

Lorelai was surprised when Emily denied both.

"I did no such thing. I have no idea why you would suspect me."

"Mom, Tom already gave you up on paying for the addition."

Emily grumbled. "I should have known he wouldn't have been able to keep a secret."

"Mom. Really. Why did you do that? Luke and I have no problem paying for the work on our own."

"I understand that, Lorelai. I just wanted to make sure that you were both set in terms of the twins. I know kids can cost a lot, especially when you're responsible for two. I didn't want you to go without anything."

Lorelai smiled. "That was very sweet of you."

"Say no more. I'm happy you're happy. With everything, not just the babies."

"Will you be in Stars Hollow any time soon, Mom?"

"I wasn't necessarily planning on an immediate visit. Why? Is something wrong?"

"No, no, nothing like that. I was just wondering if you'd like to accompany me to Hartford. I have an awfully large gift card to spend and I need to pick out the cribs and things to go in their new nursery."

Lorelai didn't have to be with Emily to know her face had taken on an enormous smile. "I can come down for a four day weekend, if you'd like."

"I'd like, Mom. We can spend the day shopping and getting things picked for Gabby and Eli."

"Gabby and Eli. I love the names you chose. And I thank you that both of the babies are named after your father and me. It means a lot to know Richard's name is being carried on."

Lorelai grew quiet. After a moment, she said, "I only hope that Eli has more than just Dad's name. I miss him, Mom. I miss him so much."

'"I do, too," Emily said simply. "I will for the rest of my life."