Chapter 110

Get the gang ready and head to the gazebo, Mom. Logan and I are eloping.

Lorelai looked up from her phone, stunned.

"Lorelai, what's wrong? It looks like you've seen a ghost." Emily eyed her closely before shifting her gaze to Luke.

"Ghost of weddings past, maybe?"

"Huh?" Luke grunted.

"Rory just texted me and told me to get the gang ready, that she and Logan are eloping in the gazebo tonight."

Emily abruptly stood up. "What? Tonight?"

Lorelai nodded. "That's what her text says, Mom."

"Do you two ever do anything the conventional way?" Emily groaned.

Luke laughed. "Look at who you're asking, Emily. You already know the answer."

*****

It was after ten o'clock at night. Rory stood inside the lit gazebo, wearing the same dress she wore to the first Life and Death Brigade event. Though differently, it still fit as if it was made with her in mind.

Logan looked dapper in a black suit, accenting his blond hair and fair skin. His eyes were bright, love evident deep within their depths.

Lorelai, Luke, and Emily stood to the side, all of them holding babies. Lane and Zack were also in attendance, as well as Kirk and Lulu. The only person they were missing was Reverend Skinner.

Rory watched her husband-to-be as he chatted with their guests. The love she felt was rivaled only by that which she felt for Lora. 

It was no secret that her relationship with Logan had been rocky at times. At several points, she questioned things and thought long and hard about if he was best for her. But in her heart of hearts, she knew that she wanted to his wife, that they were truly, deeply, madly meant for each other.

Movement on the sidewalk alerted her to the arrival of the reverend.

"Sorry, sorry, sorry! I got stopped after talking to Rory by a few of the bingo guests and talked longer than I meant to."

Logan smiled, moving forward. "No problem! This is kinda spur of the moment."

Reverend Skinner laughed. "Yes, it seems as if impromptu wedding in town square are becoming a thing." He turned to look at Kirk. "I heard you two are engaged. Should I be expecting a late night call from you in the near future?"

Kirk's eyes widened. He began stuttering and stammering when Lulu cut him off. "Not that we know of, Reverend. I want a big wedding with all the bells and whistles. In the daylight."

Forcing a smile, Kirk pulled at his shirt's collar, clearly uncomfortable.

Luke took the opportunity to poke the bear. "Are you sure Lulu? Wedding are a lot of work and money. And eloping in the gazebo would net the same result." He chuckled as he watched the eccentric townsman's eyes widen even more in horror.

Lulu smiled. "True. I suppose Kirk and I have some talking to do."

Reverend Skinner moved toward the back of the gazebo. "I'll keep my phone handy on bingo Saturday's then. So, onto the matter at hand. Shall we begin?" He looked back and forth to Logan and Rory.

Rory moved toward the steps and looked at Luke. She gestured for him to join her. "You are going to give me away, right?"

Luke nodded and looked to Lorelai, whose eyes filled with tears. "That just seems right," she said.

Kirk pulled out his cell phone and started playing the wedding march. Rory linked her arm in Luke's and the two began the short walk to where Logan was waiting with the reverend.

Once at the makeshift altar, Luke turned to Rory and leaned in to kiss her cheek. He whispered into her ear, "You may not be my daughter by blood but you're my daughter in all the ways that count."

After a quick hug, Luke moved back to stand beside Lorelai, who was already borderline blubbering.

Reverend Skinner cleared his throat and began the ceremony. "Dearly beloved...."

*****

Ever the skeptic, Emily didn't think she would enjoy running to the town square in the dark to bear witness to her granddaughter's wedding. She feared it would resemble something along the lines of a shotgun wedding and would be hurried and to the point with no true happy memories to look back on.

Boy was she wrong.

Watching as Luke escorted Rory to meet Logan in the traditional role of a father, she felt deep within that the right man was taking those steps with her oldest grandchild. While Christopher certainly loved Rory, he was never the father to her that Luke was. It was also obvious that whatever he had whispered into her ear was special, as tears quickly glossed her eyes while she nodded to him.

Logan stepped forward, extending his hand to take that of his bride's. The love that radiated from each of them was palpable. While they moved to take their places in front of the minister, Emily admired the beautifully elegant clothing choices each had made. She never would have guessed that their sudden choice to elope would end up with both donning tasteful formal wear.

The ceremony began with a poignant tribute to Rory and her evident feelings for Logan. Emily found herself dabbing at the corners of her eyes as the reverend spoke about the importance of not only love but commitment to a marriage. He made mention of how fulfilling a couple can find life when they face obstacles together and embrace all that comes their way, even in the difficult times.

A cold wind rushed through the gazebo, raising the hair on her arms.

Richard.

Smiling to herself, Emily knew that her departed better half was with them. She looked toward Lorelai who seemed to feel his presence too.

"Dad," she mouthed. Emily nodded.

Turning her attention back to the wedding, she listened intently as each Logan and Rory recited words that had not been prepared. It amazed her that they were both able to convey their joy to the guests, who most definitely believed that this was a couple who would take to heart the line "'til death do us part."

Fifteen minutes later, cheers rang out as Logan pulled Rory into his arms, following the minister's instructions to kiss his bride.

Logan and Rory turned around, hand in hand, smiling broadly as it was announced they were now Mr. and Mrs. Logan Huntzberger.

Husband and wife.