Chapter 59

Two days later, Lorelai had her bi-weekly appointment with the obstetrician. Luke skipped it, as they all had been routine. At this visit, the doctor had ordered for blood to be drawn, just to make sure Lorelai's hormone levels were doubling every other day as they should. The doctor said that if everything looked normal, she wouldn't call but if something was concerning, she would personally call Lorelai the following morning.

That next morning, she was sitting in her private office. She had been going over the calendar for the coming months, wanting to make sure she had a replacement lined up for when she was on maternity leave. Michel would likely be covering the spa so she needed to train someone to properly fill her shoes.

At that moment, none other than Michel knocked on her open door.

Lorelai looked up then waved him in.

"Hey Michel."

"Lorelai, I was wondering if you had a moment to talk."

"Sure. Everything okay?"

"Yes, it is. I just wanted to thank you. You've made my dream of overseeing a spa come true and, for that, I'm ever grateful."

Surprised at the sudden show of emotion, Lorelai smiled. "You're very welcome. I always wanted to somehow expand the Dragonfly and your leaving combined with the retirement home's selling lined up perfectly. I was able to expand and keep you. Win, win."

"I never wanted to leave. I just felt like my talents were not being used anymore."

"I get that. And you're right. Short of buying me out, you had risen the highest you could have here. The spa has opened up so much more of the business to you. And, if I recall, you were born to run a spa."

Michel laughed lightly. "Yes, that's true. I was. I do have one question— what do you plan to do for a replacement while you're out on your baby vacation?"

Lorelai couldn't contain her chuckle. "Baby vacation? I'll let that slide. I was actually just going over the calendar. I think I'll train Aubrey to oversee everything and have Brandon step up to be her Michel."

"Oh please. Brandon could never be me."

"No, you're right. But you'll be at the spa."

"I would be willing to move back and forth between the inn and the spa if that would make things easier for you."

Lorelai leaned back. "You'd do that?"

"I would. You gave me a spa, Lorelai. The least I could do is help you run things when your baby comes."

"Thank you, Michel. That would eliminate a lot of stress."

Michel nodded. "I'm happy to help."

"That is something I never thought I'd hear you say."

"Yes, well, do not get used to it."

They both smiled as Michel got up. He made it to the doorway before turning back around. "Congratulations, by the way. I'm happy you're finally getting another baby."

"Thanks Michel."

*****

After her chat with Michel, Lorelai went to talk to Sookie. She loved having the opportunity to, once again, walk twenty feet and be able to visit with her best friend. Not for the first time, Lorelai thought of how much she missed Sookie while she was gone.

The kitchen was a bustle of activity. Several people were chopping at the island while Sookie manned the stove. She was busy concocting something that smelled divine.

"Sookie, what is that heavenly scent?"

Letting out a little giggle, Sookie grinned. "It's a raspberry rum sauce. You've got to try it."

"Are you trying to get me drunk?"

"Oh, the alcohol cooks out it. I do recall that you're with child."

Lorelai moved closer to Sookie, who was extending a wooden spoon with a red liquid on it.

Blowing on it, Lorelai tasted it. Flavor exploded on her tongue. "Oh my, you have to bottle that stuff!"

"I know, right?!"

The phone in Lorelai's pocket began to ring. Seeing who the caller was, her heart stopped. It was the doctor.

Excusing herself, she went back to her private office and closed the door all while remembering that the doctor said there would be no call if everything was all right. But she was calling. So that must mean something was wrong.

"Hello?"

"Lorelai? It's Dr. Whitley. I'm calling about the blood test. Do you have a moment to talk?"

Lorelai couldn't make any sound come from her mouth.

"Lorelai?"

Forcing herself to answer, she responded. "Yes, I have a moment. Is something wrong?"

"I believe I mentioned during your appointment yesterday that your HCG levels should be doubling every other day."

"You did."

"Your levels aren't doubling every other day."

Lorelai felt her heart sink. Her levels weren't doubling, which probably meant she would lose the baby. Holding back tears, she heard the doctor continue. As she listened to the rest of what the doctor was saying, Lorelai became confused. Surely she wasn't understanding the purpose of the call correctly so she asked the doctor to repeat the last part once more.

The doctor obliged.

Lorelai's confusion remained. She repeated the doctor's words back to her, asking if what she said was correct. She was.

Lorelai was dumbfounded. The doctor had said that Lorelai's HCG levels weren't doubling every other day. They were doubling every day.

It appeared that Lorelai was carrying twins.