15

Julie's POV

"Miss Peregrine, why does Dante have to sleep in the room next to mine!" I complained when I found out Dante was staying one room down.

"I'm sorry, but it is the only room left for a full-grown man like himself.

"Full-grown? His brain has a lot of catching up to do." I mumbled.

"That's enough. Everything is final. Now go help Olive with super." Miss P said, pointing to the kitchen. I sighed and went to help Olive.

"Jule... iet." Jake called when I reached the bottom of the stairs.

"It's fine. You can call me Jules." I chuckled.

"Okay. That's so much easier." He laughed.

"What's up?" I asked.

"I was thinking. Do we still have to pretend to date to make Enoch jealous? I mean, with Miss Avocet and the others, there's a lot going on." He said.

"I don't think we have to. If anyone asks, let's just pretend we wanted to stay friends." I suggested.

"Okay. I'll tell Emma." He nodded and ran out the door. I walked into the kitchen just in time to see Bronwyn bring in a carrot.

"Thank you, Bronwyn." Olive said.

"No problem." She giggled and skipped outside.

"Hey, Olive." I greeted.

"Hello. Miss Peregrine wants us to make extra food. She said the two new little ones eat a lot." Olive giggled.

"Katelyn and Travis eat a lot." I nodded."Wait— you mean I— I mean Jake has to kill two chickens?" I asked.

"I'm afraid so." Olive smiled sadly. I groaned and headed for the pens. I usually Meat Jake here, so I fed the chickens while I waited.

After about two minutes, I heard footsteps behind me, so I assumed it was Jake.

"You're late." I sighed jokingly.

"Am I?" That disgusting voice asked.

"Go away, Dante." I spat.

"Why is the little princess doing a farmer's job?" He tsked.

"Why does someone as stupid as you have a face that's even stupider?" I glared at him.

"Touché."

"Leave her alone Dante." Jake said as he walked up.

"You couldn't take me on even if you tried." Dante challenged.

"No, but I'm pretty good with a crossbow." Jake smirked.

"Just cut it out. I need to prep dinner." I stepped up.

"Till then." Dante kissed the back of my hand. I pulled away in disgust and he walked away.

"Great. Now I'm gonna have to ask Olive to burn my hand off." I gagged.

"Just don't let him bother you. It's bad enough I have to sit next to him at dinner." Jake groaned making me laugh.

"Good luck." I patted him on the back.

-

"This food is amazing!" Dante put in a fake smile.

"Thank you." Olive smiled.

"Miss Blackwood, what do you say?" Miss Peregrin asked.

"Thanks." I mumbled, stabbing a pea with my fork. I hadn't remembered until now that I sit next to Dante too. He sits between me and Jake.

"Juliet, why aren't you eating?" Miss Peregrine asked.

"I'm just not hungry." I lied.

"Liar." Jake snickered. I kicked his foot under the table making him jump.

"Jake, is everything all right?" Miss Peregrine asked.

"Yep. I just, popped a pimple. On my leg." He said.

"Teenagers." She murmured, shaking her head.

"So you and Jake broke up." Dante said aloud.

"Dante!" I whispered loudly.

"Oh?" Enoch asked.

"I wasn't aware of you that." Miss Peregrine said.

"We were never dating." Jake and I said at the same time. The entire table table was silent. Hugh coughed awkwardly, making bees fly everywhere.

"Hugh!" We all groaned. Hugh got his hat and sucked all the bees in.

"I have to get used to that *bombinating." I sighed.

"Those were bees not bombs." Claire said.

"Never mind." I laughed. Just then, the phone started ringing.

"I'll go get that. Children, show Miss Avocet and the others to the screening room." Miss Peregrine said, standing up.

"Right this way." I directed them.

*Bombinate: bom·bi·nate

ˈbämbəˌnāt/

verbliterary

buzz; hum.

***
I hope u liked that I added the definition at the end of every chapter!!
Pls vote if you enjoyed!!
-Cali
***