Chapter 24

"You're not mine and I'm not yours
But I wish you were, and I wish I was
Turn back the clock, baby I'll be so much better
We could be better

We Could Be Better - Janine and the mixtape

September

Janae

"Mama?" I walked through my grandmother's apartment door. I was finally off from Clinical and decided to pay her visit.

We hadn't really spoken since the last time I spent time with her but I couldn't go to long without seeing her. She poked head out from her room and smiled.

"Give me a second, there's food on the stove go help yourself" she laughed.

"Okay, is it something good ?!" I asked.

Going into the kitchen and realizing she had made lasagna, rice and peas and baked chicken, I knew something was up. She either had some good news for me, or she was expecting someone other than me tonight. I decided to just cut my self a piece of the lasagna being that I couldn't wait any longer. As I sat the plate on the kitchen table, I heard a knock at the door. Sighing to myself because I was hungry.

"I'm coming" I shouted to the door, thinking this hungry ass guest had to be Lisa.

Not bothering to look through the peep hole, I opened the door only to be caught completely off guard.

"You got to be kidding me" I said out loud as I was faced with Dave and his daughter.

"Hello to you too" he rolled his eyes.

"What are you doing here?"

"Your grandmother invited me over for dinner"

"For what ?"

"To eat duh, now can we come in or nah?" he looked down at me.

"Yes"

"Yes"

I stepped to the side, here I stood in fucking scrubs and he popped up at my grandmother's house looking like a snack, meal and dessert. I shook my head of my thoughts.

"What Mama Gee made?" he asked me as he sat down at one of the empty chairs at the table.

He started taking off Kaiya's track jacket off and helping her get situated. I walked over to where he sat and put my hands out to see if Kaiya will go with me. She smiled at me and lifted her arms, letting me know she wanted to be carried. I smiled at her and Dave let her go to me.

"Mama made Lasagna and Moro y pollo" I spoke to Kai in spanish, as I showed her the food on the stove.

"Oh it's lit" he responded to us.