Chapter 42

"I care about you baby, baby
More than you'll ever know
Please do not drive me crazy, crazy
Unless you're gonna go
With me

No pressure
No pressure, I know you're real
The pressure
The pressure will make you feel"

The Pressure - Jhene Aiko

Omniscient 

Dave had parked his car down the block from Janae's house and was now walking back up the block. He was slightly nervous about meeting Jay's parents, he hadn't done this since him and Mia got together. But Mia grew up with just her mother and her mother wasn't a cop. Dave shook his nerves off as he reached the front door of Jay's house.

It was now or never, he thought to himself.

He rang the doorbell and waited for whoever it was to answer the door. The door opened revealing a dressed Jay with a ear to ear smile. Dave looked her up and down, almost forgetting she was at home and her parents were there. She opened the screen door motioning for Dave to walk in. They both stood in the foyer for a couple seconds just staring at each other before Dave whispered to her.

"What the fuck are you wearing?" he asked, looking at Jay's long legs under yet another t-shirt dress.

"What?" Janae laughed at him whispering.

"You knew I was coming over today and you wore this, so your Dad could kill me for looking at your long ass legs" he continued to whisper.

Janae cut him off with a kiss and laughed.

"Hello to you too" she spoke in a normal tone.

"Come on crazy" she grabbed his hand and lead him towards the kitchen.

"Here" Dave handed her a gift bag, that held a bottle of white wine.

"Oh you fancy huh?" Jay laughed, but Dave couldn't laugh he was anxious and nervous all at once.

"Calm down fool" Jay finally pulled them into the kitchen where her mother was still preparing tonight's meal.

"Mami" Jay sang, causing her mother to turn around.

"Oh, hello" her mother smiled wide at the sight of Dave.

"Mami, this is David, David this is my ever so lovely but crazy mother Alba" Janae introduced the two.

Dave looked at this small frame woman that had more curves on her than any other older woman he's ever met. Now he understood why Janae was as curvy as she was.

"Oh no you did not! Hi David, I've heard a lot about you" Alba stuck out her hand and Dave stuck out his as well as they shook hands.

"Nice to finally meet you" he smiled.

"Where's your father?" Alba asked her daughter.

"I don't know, probably still getting dressed. Here Ma, Dave brought wine" Janae handed her mother the gift bag.

"Thank you David" she smiled at him, hoping to ease his nerves.

"You can give David a tour of the house in the mean time" Alba suggested to Janae.

Janae and Dave both eyed each other, this wasn't Dave's first time inside Janae's home but he didn't necessarily get a tour. They both nodded in agreement and Dave followed Janae outside the kitchen. They walked back towards the front of the house by the stair case.