1. Boys

Growing up everyone always told me that dancing was a good hobby but I wouldn't hear of it. I knew dancing was what I wanted, it was my dream to be a professional ballerina and finally around the age of seven they finally believed me and enrolled me in dance class. It was my favorite part of the day, coming home from school and rushing to the studio to practice my pirouettes.

Of course dancing has it's setbacks and soon I saw less and less of my friends and my grades started slipping. All I wanted to do was dance but if I ever wanted to be a professional I had to get my grades up so I worked hard and somehow I ended up with an audition for a performing arts school in Manhattan.

Which brings us here, my freshman year at Manhattan School for the Arts.

"Maya get up" Riley, my roommate, shouts as she throws a pillow at me. "We're gonna be late for practice" she reminds me as I sit up, pushing back my hair out of my face.

"Okay, okay" I sigh as I pull back the blankets and climb out of bed. I go over to the sink to brush my teeth before throwing my messy hair into a bun on top of my head. I grab my duffel bag and slip into a pair of flats. "Ready?" I ask as she chuckles and nods, lifting her own bag onto her shoulder.

"Ready" she confirms as she pulls open the door. I follow her out and we head down the hallway towards the ballet studio.

"Getting up this early should be illegal" our friend Isadora complains as she catches up to us. "Do you think I could protest?"

"Only if you don't want a chance in the winter showcase" Riley says matter of factly as she pulls out her water bottle and takes a swig.

"Ugh" she complains as we continue our way towards the studio. "We need a night out" she says making me laugh.

"It's the first day" I remind her as we make it to the studio. I set my stuff down and unzip it, pulling out my ballet shoes. I sit down to lace them up my legs as my phone buzzes from inside my bag beside me. I rummage around inside and pull it out smiling when I see the text from my dad.

DAD: Knock em dead kiddo. See you in a few weeks 😊

I send him a quick text back before putting my phone in my bag and turning my attention back to my shoes.

"Look who's here" Riley mutters under her breath catching my attention. I turn my eyes towards the door to find none other than Missy Bradford walking in with a boy on her arm. I glance back at Riley and see a frown plastered on her face.

Lucas Friar. He was a sophomore here and every girl wanted him including my best friend. We had only moved into the dorms a few weeks ago and she was already under his spell just like every other girl at this school, except me.

"Riles" I sigh as I finish up my shoes. "Just ignore them" I insist as I stand up and start my warm ups at the bare. "Come on honey, warm up with me" I plead. She sighs and moves to stand on the bare beside me.

"Nice shoes" Missy scoffs as she walks by us. I roll my eyes as I continue with my warmups. I didn't come from the richest family, without my scholarship I wouldn't be here so it was true that I didn't have the best stuff but I didn't care in the slightest.

"Nice attitude" I snip back. She turns around and shoots me a death glare before digging her nails into Lucas and continuing to the mirror.

"Maybe a night out is a good idea" I sigh as Smackle comes to join us.

"Told you" she smirks making me chuckle as our instructor walks in. We all get into form and prepare for class to begin.

~ 🎀 ~