56. Reunited

My alarm blares the next morning and I groan as I reach over to shut it off. I could only hope that I would finally be able to sleep in once I got on the road.

I sigh, climbing out of bed and running my fingers through my hair. I check my phone to see if I have any texts from my boyfriend but as I guessed my phone is silent because he's probably asleep or he assumes I'm celebrating my first day of summer break by sleeping in myself.

I put my phone back on the nightstand and decide to take a quick shower before before getting dressed for the day. It takes me a bit longer than usual since I don't know when the next time I'll have access to a proper shower with good water pressure and a properly working water heater but eventually I make it out and change into a simple pair of jeans and a t-shirt; I wanted to dress up for the show but there was no way I was getting all done up for the flight.

"Maya" my dad knocks. "Won't you miss your flight if you don't get going?" he asks. I pull my door open and smile.

"Sorry. I was enjoying my shower" I tell him before turning around to grab my suitcase. "Are you sure you're okay with driving me? I can just get an Uber" I remind him but he rolls his eyes.

"Of course I'm sure. Airport traffic may be horrible but you are my daughter" he says and I smile as I reach forward to kiss his cheek.

"You're the best" I tell him before the two of us walk towards the living room. I take a pit stop in the kitchen and grab a fun size bag of baked sour cream and cheddar chips and stuff them in my bag. "Okay, now we can go."

My dad laughs. "Well as long as you have your chips" he teases, holding the front door open for me.

We walk out to the car and the two of us head off toward the airport. We're about five minutes into the drive when my phone rings and I sigh. "Shit" I murmur, answering the phone and bringing it to my ear.

"Hi babe" I greet him.

"Hey Penelope. You're up early" he says and I nod.

"Uh yea. I'm still on my school sleep schedule" I chuckle. "What are you doing up?"

"Eh, couldn't sleep. What are you and your dad doing today?" he asks curiously and I shrug.

"Oh you know, we're just gonna catch up some more. We may go see a movie" I improvise as we inch closer to the airport.

"Oh. I guess I won't be texting you today then." Usually I would sound disappointed by this too but today this was the perfect excuse to get out of talking to him. It wasn't like I could text on the flight so a movie was a perfect lie.

"Yea, I'm sorry babe. I'll make sure to text you as soon as it's over."

"Hopefully it'll be before my show" he sighs. "I miss you."

I smile, nodding my head in agreement. "I miss you too babe and I hate to do this but I really have to go. I'll talk to you later though."

We pull up to the doors and I bring my bottom lip between my teeth as I wait for his response. "Alright well have fun. I love you Penelope."

"I love you too Josh" I reply before we hang up and my dad shakes his head at me.

"I guarantee that boy thinks he's about to get dumped."

I sigh. "Well he'll be happily surprised then when I show up won't he?" I ask with a soft smile. "I haven't kept it from him this long for me to spoil it now" I add and he nods in understanding.

"I get it. I'm just saying" he says and I nod as I grab the handle.

"I appreciate it" I smile, reaching across the console. "But everything will be fine as soon as we're together" I assure him, kissing his cheek. "I love you dad."