37. Showcase

"I think I need a tutor" Sophie says as she looks down at her science worksheet. I glance over and see the large red F on the front.

"Maya could do it" Josh volunteers making my eyes widen.

"Me? How could I help?"

"Are you serious?" Josh laughs as he grabs my worksheet, holding it up. "You don't even pay attention half the time and yet you're doing better than both of us" he says as he puts the paper back down.

"Could you?" Sophie asks hopefully. "With showcase tomorrow night and our final being in three days I could really use the help." I take my bottom lip between my teeth. I knew the right thing to do would be to help her but like she said; we had the showcase tomorrow and our finals started on Monday morning. I had my dad coming into town and then I had to study too. I had no idea where I'd fit in time to eat and sleep let alone tutor Sophie.

"You know what" I smile. "I have a better idea" I insist as the bell rings. I hurry out of the classroom, scouring the hallway for Max. When his flaming red hair comes into view I rush towards him. "Max" I shout.

"What are you doing? I don't want him to know I'm dumb" Sophie argues but I roll my eyes. The girl could get naked with him but couldn't tell him she was failing science.

"Max" I tap on his shoulder. He turns around and his eyes light up when he sees Sophie.

"Hey" he says brightly before looking down to me. "What's up Maya?"

"You like her right?" I ask, pointing to Sophie. He blushes, nodding his head.

"Just a bit" he admits shyly.

"Great. She needs a science tutor. I have way too much to do already so I can't but I was thinking that maybe-."

"No problem" Max shrugs as he walks up to Sophie. "We can even make it fun" he smirks as he grabs her hand. "See you guys later" he says before he rushes off with Sophie.

"I thought you were getting along with her again" Josh says as he throws his arm across my shoulders while we walk down the hall.

"I am" I argue. "I really am way too busy. My dad wants to hang out while he's in town but I have to study and not to mention eating and sleeping."

"Penelope take a breath" he smiles as he squeezes my shoulder. "Everything will work out."

"But-." I'm interrupted by my phone buzzing in my pocket. I groan as I pull it out and find my dad's name staring back at me. "But I have so much to do" I explain, answering the phone. "Hey dad what's up?"

"I'm here but you're not. Everything okay?"

"I'm so sorry dad" I sigh as I grab Josh's hand and we take off down the hall. "I'll be there in a few minutes. I had to find my friend a tutor."

"Oh um okay. See you soon kiddo."

"Yep" I nod, hanging up my phone.

"Penelope you're gonna pop my arm out of the socket" Josh sighs as he tugs back to try and slow us down. I pause, allowing him to catch up.

"Sorry."

"Yea" he chuckles. "You should be." We walk the rest of the way to my dorm and by the time I make it to my room a very unamused Riley and Lucas are sitting on her bed.

"Sorry I'm late" I apologize more to my friends than my father.

"Josh is here" Shawn points out. "Is he joining us for lunch?"