24. Drunk

Throwing myself back into dancing was probably the easiest thing I've ever done. When I danced no one asked me about my mom, Zay kept his mouth shut, and I was just able to lose myself. Every other class was a little harder. I had fallen behind in every class and having science with Zay as my partner was what I imagine living in hell feels like. We don't talk unless forced to and even then I don't allow the subject matter to venture off subject. I had become understood that he crossed a line.

Josh and Riley were my safe havens, my angels. When I was with them I felt like myself, I felt comfortable. Of course the two of them came with my favorite idiots. "Maybe I should start a band" Lucas says making us all turn to look at him with amused expressions as we sit in the room that the band practices in.

"That's a horrible idea" Riley insists.

"Why?" Lucas asks confused. "Why are you all so against this?"

"What would you sing?" Josh asks curiously as he rubs circles on my hip. Natalie, Derek, and Max were scattered around the room but Josh and I were sitting on the chair, me on his lap and Riley and Lucas were hanging on one other on the couch.

"Covers" he shrugs.

"Country covers?" Derek asks, earning a slap from Natalie.

"Just because he's from Texas doesn't mean he's only into country" she scolds him as she turns to Lucas. "Isn't that right?" she asks, looking for backup but Lucas laughs.

"Country is my favorite" he admits sheepishly.

"Yes" Derek exclaims. "Told you" he exclaims making Natalie roll her eyes.

"It doesn't matter" I laugh. "You are not starting a band" I insist.

"Why? Afraid I'll be better than your boyfriend?" Lucas smirks making me scoff as I wrap my arms around his neck.

"As if babe" I smile, "my boyfriend could sing circles around you."

"Prove it" Lucas insists as he stands up but Riley quickly tugs on his arm, pulling him back down to the couch.

"Would you shut up" she giggles. "He'd kick your ass in a singing competition" she insists making Josh smirk.

"Hey" I scold as I hit his chest. "Don't get cocky."

"It's not being cocky if you can back it up" he replies making everyone groan. I laugh as my phone rings in my pocket. I look down at the screen and my heart stops. Josh looks at me worriedly, his grip on my waist tightening. "Baby you okay?" he asks softly.

"I gotta take this" I insist as I push off of him and rush off to the hallway. "Dad" I say softly.

"Um no" a woman's voice says over the line. "I'm Trish. A bartender at Greenwich Pub" she explains making my heart drop. "Your number was the first one listed in his contacts" she continues. "He's pretty wasted and I don't want him getting in the car."

"Um well I'm actually at MSA right now. I'm his daughter" I explain. "It's gonna take me about an hour to get there."

"I have his keys so he's not going anywhere" she adds. I run a hand over my face and sigh.

"Yea okay. I'm on my way" I tell her before hanging up the phone and walking back into the rehearsal space. I walk over to Josh and reach out my hand. "I need your keys."

"My keys? Penelope where the hell do you think you're going?" he chuckles.

"Joshua Gabriel Matthews I am not in the mood. Please just give me your keys." All eyes are on us as he shakes his head insistently.