48. Philly

Practicing with Josh turns out to be the perfect distraction for both of us. Outside of the studio it was hard to avoid the fact that he was leaving in a matter of weeks but when we were dancing it was as if there was nothing else that mattered but the way our bodies moved together. My audition piece was almost perfect at this point...according to Josh. I was still a little apprehensive about the whole thing but Josh insisted that it was all going to work out and I would no doubt get the role.

We're about two hours into our rehearsal on a rainy Friday afternoon when his phone blares from his bag for the millionth time this morning. "Josh" I groan as he places me back onto the ground after a lift. "Just go answer it."

He rolls his eyes. "It's just my family" he replies, waving me off. I look at him expectantly.

"In that case you don't get to argue. Go answer your phone" I insist, pushing him forward. He stops resisting and finally walks over and picks up his phone while I move towards my bag and grab my water bottle, taking a long swig before turning my attention to my boyfriend. "What do they want anyway?"

He looks up from the screen and sighs. "They want me to come home this weekend" he explains making me furrow my eyebrows at him in confusion.

"What do you mean? Because of your birthday?" I guess and he nods. Josh's birthday was tomorrow, not to mention Valentine's Day and while we had planned to spend the occasion together alone on campus I suppose it made sense that his family would want him home. If I didn't live mere miles away from my parents I'm sure they'd try to drag me back home for my birthday too. Of course I wouldn't have to leave Josh behind to go and visit them.

I swallow my arguments and nod. "You should go."

He throws his phone down and shakes his head. "Nah. I texted them and told them that if you're not invited then I'm not going. I have to leave you soon anyway. I don't need another excuse to put distance between us" he argues as he steps closer and wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me into his embrace.

I smile as I reach up and wrap my arms around his neck. "You're sweet but I can't come between you and your parents" I insist. He rolls his eyes.

"You're being dramatic Penelope and they'll let you come. Trust me, I know them" he adds making me chuckle as I reach up and tug at the hair at the nape of his neck.

"Oh do you? Were they the ones who raised you or something?"

"As a matter of fact they are" he replies cheekily making me laugh as I reach up to kiss him.

"So I have them to blame for your uncleanliness" I tease making his mouth drop open as he steps back from me.

"Wow. Low blow sweetheart."

"Hm, guilty as charged" I shrug as I move towards my bag and hitch it onto my shoulder. "Are you ready to head back? I need a shower and I am not going to miss the season finale of Riverdale."

He rolls his eyes as he grabs his stuff and follows after me. "You and your television programming."

"You love me" I tease and he smiles as he takes my hand in his.

"That I do."

*************************************************************************************

"All set" Josh announces, tossing his phone onto the table as we settle onto the futon to watch Riverdale. I look over my shoulder up at him with my eyebrows furrowed curiously. He had been typing away on his phone all day today and he refused to tell me what he was up to.