27. Scary

"What time do you go on?" I ask Josh while I pin my hair up in a bun. He was dashing around the room trying to make sure he had everything for their performance tonight. I was still holding onto a little sliver of hope that I'd be able to catch the end of their set.

"Nine" he replies as he grabs his ear piece. "You might be able to make it" he smiles as he kisses my cheek. "I really, really want you to make it" he adds, kissing the soft spot below my ear.

"I'm gonna try" I assure him as I lock eyes with him in the mirror. "But if I don't" I add as I spin to face him. "Good luck and I love you" I smile, throwing my arms around his neck.

"I love you too" he says sweetly, ducking down to leave a quick kiss to my lips. "Have a good practice. Break a leg" he adds making me giggle. He lets me go and leaves the room after leaving one last peck on my lips. I grab my duffel bag and head down to the studio where Miss Laine is already leaning against the barre awaiting my arrival.

"Are you ready Miss Hunter?" she asks as I put down my bag and scurry over to the barre.

"Yes ma'am" I reply politely. She nods as she starts the music.

*************************************************************************************

When Miss Laine announces I'm dismissed it feels as if the heavens have opened. I'm exhausted, my feet are killing me but most of all it's a quarter past eight and I still have a chance to make it to the party. I run up to my dorm and throw open my closet. I pull out a black dress and black leggings, slipping into the outfit before walking over to the sink and opening my makeup bag. I apply a darker coat than I usually do and grab a pair of cat ears from Riley's accessory tote. I let my hair down and run a brush through my stubborn locks a few times before calling it good enough. I grab my clutch and rush across campus to the party. Music comes from inside, letting on that they've already started but a look at the clock tells me I'm only two minutes late. I smile as I walk inside, immediately becoming engulfed in a large group of people. I make my way to the stage and spot Josh singing while people in the crowd drink, dance, and sing along. After the song ends Josh's eyes scan the crowd and a smile pulls at his lips when he sees me. "I'm gonna get a drink" I mouth. He nods in understanding before they start on their next song.

I walk into the kitchen and find the keg. I fill a red solo cup and take a long swig. "I didn't think I'd see you here." I quickly turn to find Zay in front of me with a cowboy hat on his head.

"Feeling is mutual" I reply. "Is there something you need?" I ask snippily.

"How have you been?" he asks causing me to scoff with a dramatic roll of my eyes.

"How've I been?" I question. "Fantastic actually. Thank you so much for asking. How are you? And your slutty girlfriend? She finally move on to someone else?" I ask making him sigh.

"You know you don't have to be such a bitch to me" he says making my eyes widen in shock and anger.

"I don't have to be a bitch to you" I exclaim. "That's rich coming from you. You've made my life hell and now you want to sit here and act like you give a shit. Nope. Sorry. Tell it to someone who cares" I add as I brush past him but he catches my wrist. "Let me go" I demand.

"What is it about him that has you so fucking wrapped around his finger? He doesn't give a shit about you Maya" he insists, frustration clear in his voice. "I could make you happy" he says softly, caressing my cheek.

"I'm more than happy" I assure him as I take a step back from him. "Now if you'll excuse me" I add as I successfully brush past him and make my way back into the living room. I watch the rest of Josh's set, leaning against the wall while drinking my beer until finally the last song ends and the band is replaced by a stereo.